Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NOOB Question Newgroup vs Torrents

There are going to be less songs available but you can always request some songs and I am sure someone would be nice enough to put it up if they have it.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    The best thing to do is to upload something and request at the same time. If you post in the right group(s) you'll easily find people who got something to offer.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    n00b
    Hell with Time-Warner Cable, I max out my 10mbps download connection 100% of the time. They also upgraded their retention rates! I downloaded some items that were 80 days old! I dropped my premium newsgroup provider to save a few bucks a month and use Time-Warner's RoadRunner access...

-Antwan L.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm downloading my first files off of usenet and getting around 300 kb/s on a 3 mb connection. My fastest for torrents was around 200 and usually only 150 or lower.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbegnoche View Post
    I'm downloading my first files off of usenet and getting around 300 kb/s on a 3 mb connection. My fastest for torrents was around 200 and usually only 150 or lower.

Yeah,I get 650 kb/s and I can download a DVD in about an hour and a half....with torrents,it would sometimes take a half a day! Newsgroups rule over torrents in speed!

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbegnoche View Post

Yeah,I get 650 kb/s and I can download a DVD in about an hour and a half....with torrents,it would sometimes take a half a day! Newsgroups rule over torrents in speed!
    only started with Usenet yesterday

what a difference!

was used to getting 5 to 30 kb/s with torrents (sometimes up to 100 kb/s but very rare)

now getting 250kb/s on a 4MB line - amazed by the difference.

PS - although the above is a massive increase in my eyes, does anyone think this is still comparatively slow?
    Last edited by BigH; 03-05-2007 at 09:24 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Ya 250 on a 4mb line is kind of low since you should be maxing out your connection. Who is your provider?

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fugazi26 View Post
    Ya 250 on a 4mb line is kind of low since you should be maxing out your connection. Who is your provider?
    cable with Virgin Media (formerly NTL) - I'm in UK

so should, in theory, my download speed should be about 400kb/s ? (or perhaps 4000kb/s ?- sorry, crap with numbers)

I download from a European server - would it make any difference it I simultaneously downloaded from the servers in US (East and West) as well, or does it make no difference?

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Are you subscribed to a premium newsgroup provider if so who? Possibly your isp?

The download speed should be around 400KB/s or 4000kb/s. Ya I have the whole capitalization thing too.
    Last edited by fugazi26; 03-05-2007 at 08:48 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by BigH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fugazi26 View Post
    cable with Virgin Media (formerly NTL) - I'm in UK

so should, in theory, my download speed should be about 400kb/s ? (or perhaps 4000kb/s ?- sorry, crap with numbers)

I download from a European server - would it make any difference it I simultaneously downloaded from the servers in US (East and West) as well, or does it make no difference?

Are you getting 250 KB/sec? That would equate to about 2 Mb/sec (8 bits in a byte). I have heard that NTL throttle the speed of some heavy users to half of what it should be. If you are using a premium/paid for server, you should be able to change the port from 119 to something else (depending on what the news server suggests). This may help to increase your speed in case NTL is limiting port 119 traffic. Also, if you are uploading stuff, e.g. torrents, at the same time, they will slow down your download speed.

I am also on NTL and am thinking of using news groups, which one do you use? I haven't managed to connect to the NTL one so I think I will go with a paid one instead.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast