Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Uses Linux?

I've used Mandrake (8.1-9.0),Debian 3.0 and am currently dual-booting XP and Slackware. Here's a hint. Before you start, give yourself the same time frame it took to learn Windows. Linux is a whole new ballgame and getting used to the idea that you can do anything you want to a system is a little spooky at first. I reinstalled my first system over a dozen times. Check out "distrowatch.com". They have all the latest distros.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by mutterings@23 May 2003 - 20:44
    thanks people so mandrake is the reccomendation then....i will start downloading now.....bill gates if you are reading this please dont hesitate and reply as to why i shouldnt go linux?......ps longhorn is crap lol
    You might want to try Red Hat too. I dl'ed Mandrake from Bittorrent and I think I got bad iso's. Nothing from the second disk would load and I coulded use the rescue mode. It would load the rescue screen but then I would freeze up. I wanted to restore the windows boot loader and could not. I ended up getting the Red Hat 9 isos from Bittorrent, deleting the mandrake partitions from XP disk manager and installing Red Hat.

Red Hat seems very easy to use and the only problem I have had so far is the fact that I doesn't recognize my Dell modified SB Live soundcard (an ongoing issue in the Dell Support forums). If anyone had any suggestions on that front please feel free to post them.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    i run red hat - it does strange things when formating disks
    it's a definite learning curve
    but the serverware is great
    still don't use it as a workstation though
    BTW
    Originally posted by p2pmaster
    stick with windows linux is totally crap
    your opinion is total crap fella :: 10 :1 this site is hosted on linux [i know it's apache and who runs apache on winblows] OSs are horses for courses [and windows is the lowest common denominator]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    xp is better than linux..

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    which os is better has been argued on nearly every forum including this one there are loads if you have alook.

but learning something new is always good. and linux is ideal for a server and the price cannot be beaten.

Why is everyone downloading it off bittorent is all that i am wondering.

linuxiso has all the distros you could ever want and all are hosted on hundreads of very fast ftp servers. just click the folder icon next to the distro and architecture you want and there is a list of mirrors.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Hiya peoples  just wondering who here uses linux i hear it is a great os apart from the hardware support  I would like to change from the evil known as windows so any thoughts on this would be great 
    While i hate corporate greed as much as anyone, Windows is (IMO) the best os for home users. And anyway, it's only evil if you pay for it, or let it spy on you. :-"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Thanks for responses everybody...as 4 play mentioned in his post why download from p2p when you can download linux straight from source??? Any way Having downloaded linux mandrake (11hr d/l 3 iso files )And spending half a night trying to install it on a partition (whch wasnt a great success )i formatted my h/d then istalled without any problems whatsoever !! once installed( all drivers found within linux auto installed) i thought i would try to connect to internet this is where i encountered my only problem...my modem software needs a patch (although it said everthing was installed)so thats where i stopped for the time being untill i have got the patch(no prob getting patch just being lazy )I spent a few hours looking around mandrake linux and as first impressions go i am impressed.I noticed that my graphics card has been considerably slowed down but then it is only a stopgap not the oem driver(which i hope i can get or good equivelant)So i will be vain enough to give it a few ratings for my first outing with linux.

1.ease of install on partition
    0/10(this is a novice trying to load it ok!!&#33

2.install on formatted drive
    10/10 (i literally didnt do anything apart from type my user name and password in)

3.Getting started
    3/10(a bit daunting as i am so used to the windoze format and tere is no real tutorial as such I know this is sad but someone should make some windoesq wizards...i am sure it wont take me long to work out )

4.how does it look
    6/10 Looks fine aesthetically

5.price
    10/10 Free source prog so u dont have to look over your virtual shoulder to see if gill bates(normans younger brother)

Overall this looks good i would say definately not for the faint hearted i would reccomend a second hard drive to install onto then just mess around with it.As i have said before i am not a professional programmer or anything like that so please keep the post nice and simple for us idiots lol

oh yeah windows vs linux?......you cant they are totally different entities completely just go in open minded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12