Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Uses Linux?

Hiya peoples just wondering who here uses linux i hear it is a great os apart from the hardware support I would like to change from the evil known as windows so any thoughts on this would be great B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Out of The Ordinary
    Linux Mandrake 9.0 should be a good start for You (3 CD's to download).
    A dual boot is also something that I suggest You to do.

BOT

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'll second that Mandrake's good though I had trouble figuring out the lilo boot options in mandrake and ended up deleting NT boot loader so XP wouldn't start Also theres very little literature to help u with mandrake (I found anyway) If u want a wide support base and lots of stuff u can read to get u going I'd probably recommend red hat linux though I haven't tried the recent releases.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thanks people so mandrake is the reccomendation then....i will start downloading now.....bill gates if you are reading this please dont hesitate and reply as to why i shouldnt go linux?......ps longhorn is crap lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    sorry to say it but i really do not like mandrake. it was a big let down.

I like suse much better. excelent amounts of software included and grub is a much better boot loader then lilo.

my uni uses mandarke and i got root for a bit of fun(under supervision of a system admin since he is my mate)

red hat is also a good starting os. but i would not kill windows off just yet i still like to use it for many apps that cannot be found in linux.

like [B][O][T] said dual booting is an excellent star so i would try that first it will teach you alot.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I have 2 H/Drives so i dont intend on shooting myself in the foot just yet lol

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    a 5 gig partition on one should do the trick.

also read the first three chapters.

that will help explain linux.

http://www.tldp.org/ the article on bootloaders is a must read before you install any linux distro.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    stick with windows linux is totaly crap

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have been trying to put Mandrake 9.1 on a partitioned hard drive, to run in a dual boot environment, and I have had loads of problems. The second disc, containing most of the packages, seems to be the problem. Most of the packages failed to load and the installer was hanging. I got it up and running but I can't seem to do anything with it. I am going to mess around with it somemore but I am also dl'ing the RedHat iso from bit torrent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast