Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Don't Some Share

Poster
    Originally posted by LINDOREZ@28 May 2003 - 11:55
    There's no point trying to block somebodys IP address if their on dial-up because the IP address constantly changes.  Infact it sometimes changes if your on broadband as well. 

Its a bit of an extream method just to block somebody out.  It would be better if everybody required an individual username to use kazaa and then we could just choose to ignore individuals like in messenger programs.  I doubt that's ever going to happen though. 
    I only block for an hour or 2, so they can TRY to log off and log back on and hunt for me again... but because my KL++ is behind a firewalled router -- they need to get lucky and hit the exact same supernode again... AND hope I don't see them.

I don't bother dial-up users so much because their download speeds are so pathetic.

I&#39;ve even told one particularly belligerent leech (he cussed me out 3 times in a row for &#39;bugging him&#39; and there was more or less nothing I could do to him because Kazaa would just force a reconnect) what his ip and DNS info was and told him he had <1 minute before I put a denial of service on his ass. (The ip block was the &#39;denial of service&#39;, but I implied it like it was some sort of supercoolfunkyhackershit DoS attack.)

He thought I was going to blast his connection and kick him off the fasttrack/Kazaa network.
    I ended up talking him into at least sharing for a short bit.

I don&#39;t need any more tools to be/seem evil while using KL++... just a little creativity with what I got. B)

2. File Sharing   -   #52
    totally easy solution for people who don&#39;t want leeches to DL from them on FastTrack.

if using Kazaa or K-lite:
    1. press ALT
    2. press F
    3. press E
    4. leeches are gone&#33;

3. File Sharing   -   #53
    totally easy solution for people who don&#39;t want leeches to DL from them on FastTrack.

if using Kazaa or K-lite:
    1. press ALT
    2. press F
    3. press E
    4. leeches are gone&#33;

4. File Sharing   -   #54
    QUESTION: What do you call a P2P program where people don&#39;t share
    ANSWER: KaZaa

SOLUTION: I am glad that you are trying to save a sinking ship, but why? Is it because of all the great times you had with that whore bitch, KaZaa, well her t**s are starting to sag and her p**s is loose.

You can talk, bitch, and moan, but things are getting worse quickly. The solution could have been brought about from Sharman, though I wonder if they even care.

I am just saying l k around, "the writing is on the wall", and I&#39;m not happy about it at all. I am not interested in waiting a week to get a file while my ul slots are running non stop.

5. File Sharing   -   #55
    The great thing about filesharing is not just to download a rare file but to upload it and knowing that in doing this there&#39;s now this one more possibility for others to enjoy what you yourself had such a hard time getting in the first place. I feel sorry for people who don&#39;t have the abilily to feel joy in sharing. Thanks to everyone who shares with me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

6. File Sharing   -   #56
    Couldn&#39;t have said it better

7. File Sharing   -   #57
    immortal_phoenix
    well, interesting reading and all valid points (regarding the need to share, 56k users, etc.).

here&#39;s an idea to improve the situation- i.e. improving speeds and file availability, maybe it sounds like a bit of twisted logic but how about this:

I&#39;m sure there are people who already do this but anyway... If people on fast connections (broadband, dsl, cable etc.) limit their upload slots to like 2 or 3 then downloaders will have faster speeds and therefore complete the download sooner which means they can start sharing the file sooner. I think this would be a good idea because Kazaa only downloads from complete files, not partials.

Personally, I&#39;m on a 56k. I used to have 3 upload slots and each user downloading off me got a speed of about 0.8 - 1.0 kb/s. Then after a while I thought I&#39;d do a little tweaking and set the upload limit to 1 upload at a time. Then the user downloading off me got around 3 to 3.5 kb/s, which I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll agree is a slightly more practical speed for someone to download at.

So the idea of users limiting the number of concurrent uploads could benefit everyone. Large files like movies could be shared faster since there would be a steady increase in the number of sources, instead of having to wait for groups of people to eventually acquire the complete file after a long while.

Anyway, so what do you guys think about this theory? Am I crazy?

P.S. just to avoid any misunderstanding, I want to make clear that I&#39;m NOT telling people to stop sharing and I am NOT trying to suggest that people should share less.

8. File Sharing   -   #58
    Poster
    Originally posted by immortal_phoenix@31 May 2003 - 10:42
    I&#39;m sure there are people who already do this but anyway... If people on fast connections (broadband, dsl, cable etc.) limit their upload slots to like 2 or 3 then downloaders will have faster speeds and therefore complete the download sooner which means they can start sharing the file sooner. I think this would be a good idea because Kazaa only downloads from complete files, not partials.

Personally, I&#39;m on a 56k. I used to have 3 upload slots and each user downloading off me got a speed of about 0.8 - 1.0 kb/s. Then after a while I thought I&#39;d do a little tweaking and set the upload limit to 1 upload at a time. Then the user downloading off me got around 3 to 3.5 kb/s, which I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll agree is a slightly more practical speed for someone to download at.

So the idea of users limiting the number of concurrent uploads could benefit everyone. Large files like movies could be shared faster since there would be a steady increase in the number of sources, instead of having to wait for groups of people to eventually acquire the complete file after a long while.

Anyway, so what do you guys think about this theory? Am I crazy?

P.S. just to avoid any misunderstanding, I want to make clear that I&#39;m NOT telling people to stop sharing and I am NOT trying to suggest that people should share less.
    You&#39;re not crazy -- everyone else is... and they&#39;re out to get you too&#33;

It&#39;s almost sad or amazing that 3 uploads at 0.8-1.0 kb/s doesn&#39;t even add up to 3 kb/s total -- while the 1 by itself could reach 3-3.5 kb/s.

The problem with broadband using only 2-3 max uploads is they get &#39;tied up&#39; with 56k&#39;s downloading from them and end up wasting much of their upload bandwidth while they do. With shared whole CD&#39;s, tv shows, and movies, this is especially bad -- because the bandwidth waste might be 8 hours straight or more. And it&#39;s not just 56k&#39;s that often download at pathetic <1.5 kb/s speeds&#33; I&#39;ve seen numerous cable users and even T-1/T-3 connections which get that speed -- due to their ISP throttling Kazaa and/or due to their Kazaa settings. They often compensate for their slow downloads by setting their max downloads to 30+ -- so it&#39;s not just 1 of your upload slots they&#39;re likely to tie up when they download from you&#33;

The problem is SO severe that I state almost the ONLY people who download faster than 5 kb/s are LEECHES. This isn&#39;t true of course, but some days it sure seems so.

And it&#39;s because the default settings of regular Kazaa are (or were) horrid -- with unlimited uploads, unlimited upload bandwidth, AND "optimal bandwidth while idle" (wreck-your-connection-mode) enabled.

But reducing the number of max upload to only 3 max (or 1 for 56k&#39;s) for everyone would reduce the number of sources available if everyone did it. You&#39;d be less likely to get an immediate but very slow download and more likely to end up remotely queued. And it would benefit leeches more, because they could better utilize the extra speeds.

9. File Sharing   -   #59
    I only have 2 upload slots open so you guys can get my files at around 25.00kb/s each

But in return my downloads are around 2.25kb/s on average

and thats if i can find a source to download from.

10. File Sharing   -   #60
    Originally posted by spocko@31 May 2003 - 15:04
    The great thing about filesharing is not just to download a rare file but to upload it and knowing that in doing this there&#39;s now this one more possibility for others to enjoy what you yourself had such a hard time getting in the first place. I feel sorry for people who don&#39;t have the abilily to feel joy in sharing. Thanks to everyone who shares with me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Gee, I feel all FUZZY inside.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast