Thread: Laptop recommendations

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    My Mom wants (and needs) a new laptop. She won't be playing any games or graphic intensive programs, so it will primarily be for web browsing and email. Would like at least 17" screen so the keyboard is large.

Any recommendations? Cost cutting is not necessary; I'm looking for a quality laptop that will last her a while.

Also, is she going to be stuck with Vista? It doesn't look like anyone is still loading or offering XP.

Guess I could have posted in here again....
    Last edited by Skizo; 02-12-2007 at 03:58 PM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ebooks-Laptops

9 out of 13 have XP, though that may have changed by the time you look at the page.

If you are looking at the cheaper end of the market, Acer seem to have some good deals and have a reasonable reputation.

The Asus systems also have a reasonable rep, but the lower spec ones seem a bit expensive for what you get. Seem to have better value at the higher end though.

Avoid Sony, they load more bloatware than any other maker.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ebooks-Laptops

9 out of 13 have XP, though that may have changed by the time you look at the page.

If you are looking at the cheaper end of the market, Acer seem to have some good deals and have a reasonable reputation.

The Asus systems also have a reasonable rep, but the lower spec ones seem a bit expensive for what you get. Seem to have better value at the higher end though.

Avoid Sony, they load more bloatware than any other maker.
    I'll review some of those, thanks.

Do you guys think I should get Vista or XP. I know there's a lot of talk about Vista being crap, but I also don't want to have to buy it in a year to be up-to-date.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I would get it with Vista just to have the license and then install XP on it. But that's just me.

I agree with lynx about the Acer. I also think that Toshiba has a lot to offer.

Are there any preferences like screen size, weight, battery life etc...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Many laptops with XP Pro installed have a free upgrade offer.

The thing to do would be to make a copy of the XP installation (using Ghost 2003, Partition Magic 8 or similar), then get the Vista upgrade. Once you've got the upgrade you can make a copy of that too, then revert back to the XP version.

I can't be sure, but I suspect you should then be able to continue to get service packs and fixes for XP, or install Vista from your copy if you later decide you would prefer it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Avoid siemens totally, bad build quality, noisy but cheap
    HP is popular now,(and cheap) although some people have mentioned fan noise as a issue. so run a test if possible.
    Dell annoyingly seems to win most comparisons and they are butt ugly
    LG has had good reviews
    Acer also
    Sony has sexy design (bloat ware can be removed)
    Mac?

My dream laptop at this moment is sadly from dell and expensive too /and heavy
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...=04&l=en&s=bsd

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sup Skiz..... i've got a year old toshiba satellite. werks pretty good too(plays medieval II) with only 512mb. last week or so an updated version was on sale 4 like 400 @best buy. the only thing id change is the ram and the fan.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Love my Sony Vaio!!!