Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free Newsgroups?

Quote Originally Posted by Asuran View Post
    Likewise. In their forum they said that they took 7000 users into this personal accounts test phase.

So to recap....there ARE no FREE newsgroup providers! That is why people pay.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    ..... BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Im getting free from my ISP good speed and 100day retention

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by erdniZ View Post
    That is your ISP provider and you are one of the lucky few....there are NO FREE newsgroup providers outside an ISP...that was my point.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by erdniZ View Post
    If it's from your ISP, your not getting it free. The monthly (or whatever your contract payment plan is) fee you pay goes towards providing newsgroup access to you.

There will never be free fast, high retention news servers until a huge overhaul occurs that will limit costs (internet2 full distribution maybe ? ). Easynews is as good as it gets until the beta trial expires. I'm using Usenetserver and it isn't a bad choice either for $15 USD a month.
    “I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    I just got in and I am still having problems.. I have not idea what to do... files I get with my newsbin program are incomplete and scatered

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulness32 View Post
    I just got in and I am still having problems.. I have not idea what to do... files I get with my newsbin program are incomplete and scatered
    What newshosting provider are you using? Newshosting? Giganews? your own ISP newsserver? etc.

Does your newshosting provider have a help forum?

If at all possible, find out if your newshosting provider has a customer service representative you can contact.

If not you may want to give more detailed info here.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    I wonder if it's worth looking into open proxies so that you can appear to be connecting from any of a number of ISPs that offer free NG access

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by obvious View Post
    I wonder if it's worth looking into open proxies so that you can appear to be connecting from any of a number of ISPs that offer free NG access
    lots of isp's have login/passwords now.. but I'm sure there are a few that are open to "local" ip's. A friend of mine used our school's isp to access newsgroups at home, but unfortunately not long after they started enforcing logins .
    “I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    newsbot has a list google searc for it

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    news.task.gda.pl
    yellow.octanews.net
    news3.telebyte.nl

i use these 3 free servers with 3 connections on each, plus my isp connection, and i must say, good speeds all round with about 20 days retention..........not too bad really

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast