Thread: HDD backup help

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i have Norton Ghost 10. i backed up my 80gb notebook hdd onto an external usb 2.0 hdd. my laptop hdd died, and dell sent me a new one. it has all the factory installed os and bullshit already on there. i install norton ghost and try to restore, and it says i can't do it in the os. so i burn ghost, and boot with it, and i try to restore, but it won't read my external hdd.

so i formated the hdd completely and booted w/ ghost, and tried to restore, but it still won't read my external hdd. wtf?!?!?

am i doing something wrong? or does ghost just suck?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yes & yes. I dislike ghost. But since thats the backup you have. I suggest giving it 1 more try.
    Go here, http://dban.sourceforge.net/. Download DBAN for installation on CD and DVD media. Burn it. New DBAN users should read the README.TXT file. After wiping. Then try ghost again.
    If this works or not. I suggest replacing ghost with Paragon Hard Disk Manager Pro. The Recovery CD Image version.
    Let us know.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    sounds good. thanks!

normally, if i were to boot using the ghost cd, i should be able to read off external usb 2.0s right?

i'm getting another 2.5" sata drive so i can keep a backup version of my hdd. i'll try this dban on it.

is paragon hard disk manager pro the best hdd backup utility?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Differing thoughts on that. For images I use Paragon. For clones I use Acronis MigrateEasy.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I suspect the problem is that ghost does not support your combination of USB controller and external harddrive.

This link might help
    http://ghost.radified.com/external_drive.htm

Personally I'd consider putting the laptop drive in a another computer as a secondary drive. You can get a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor if it's an IDE drive.
    Not sure if SATA laptop drives have the same connector as normal harddrives, my knowledge is a bit out of date there.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Edit: Sorry my idea won't work.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 02-16-2007 at 04:06 AM.