Thread: dual booting

BillStruth's Avatar misunderestimated
    i recently installed vista on my pc, and because i could not use some applications that i rely on, due to driver instability issues, i decided to install xp on a separate partition. i have done this before on another machine and used both OS successfully.

the problem is that on boot up the machine does not give me the option of both OS, but instead boots up xp automatically. all the files for vista are still visible and i can access the files that i saved there. is there anyway around this? or will i have to re install both ,installing xp first, and installing vista last? could the order of installation have caused this?

many thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    At the moment ive got it working the other way round, theres an option in vistas bootloader to get back to the XP bootloader. Its probabily only worked for me since i installed vista after XP. You could try an fdisk /mbr command on a dos boot disk, that might reload the vista bootloader which would then allow you to get to the XP one. That might not work since ive only ever recovered a XP bootloader from a broken GRUB one. Probably easier is just to reinstall vista without messing around with the XP bootloader. - theres no need to reinstall both.
    Last edited by Ratzy Rox; 02-16-2007 at 01:26 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BillStruth's Avatar misunderestimated
    thanks for your reply!

i had obviously hoped to get off without reinstalling anything, but i suppose having to reinstall one is not too much of a problem.

once again, thanks for your assistance.