Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 300

sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sert View Post
    Spartans fighters with beards? No way. The movie just showed the world’s idea of ancient Greeks. However Spartans didn’t have beards.

- Efialtis, the traitor (English translation: nightmare). This has never been proved on the contrary most historians don’t believe at him (although some do). At least he couldn’t be Spartan in any way, as Spartans not accepted new borne babies with any kind of genetic anomaly, believe it or not they were killing them instantly (by throwing them of the highest mountain "keadas"). It may sounds cruel and unacceptable by today’s societies but that’s the way the best army created some thousand years back.
    That they didn't fight all day long and that is pretty obvious, as is them not carrying all the supplies they needed all the way and that.

That's simple logistics, and seems pretty silly to point out.

However, what's cited above seems a bit off. From what I've read they might well have had beards. That sort of thing, along with long hair probably made for some needed padding for those helmets they wore.

I don't think it's provable either way, tho'. There won't be any spartan corpses from that period preserved well enough to check that they never wore beards.

And as for the cripple, as the story goes spartans did toss deformed children off a cliff, but the father or family of that particular one went into exile taking the child with him/them, so as to save the child's life. (Which might be something that may have happened at some point for real. People were probably just the same in some respects then as they are now.)

As for history, I ran a search on t'internets just now (just looking at mentions of him in texts), and he might well have been a (not crippled) peasant, rather than a warrior, or he might not have existed at all. That specific crippled traitor in Miller's version is just Miller's interpretation of the myth, obviously, but you know that.

TBH, people pointing out how any details in the movie were historically incorrect are a bit silly, especially since there are so many on the internet by now.
    I find you silly too

2. Movies & TV   -   #182
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'm devastated

3. Movies & TV   -   #183
    I see u are online 24/7
    If you have read the thread, u would have seen that I posted the details to show that the movie is historically incorrect, after a teenager from Finland tried to convince me that the Greeks were defeated by Persians at the fight that took place right after Thermopylae, outside of Sparta.

His arguments were based on 5 minutes internet research (like yours) and he also linked me to Wikipedia to prove himself (like u didn’t strangely)

4. Movies & TV   -   #184
    I got nothing from wikipedia, that may be why. Nor was it a matter of five minutes

I've got access to university databases, a university library, and so forth, I don't need to use the sources the ones you assume the kid you replied to did.

Not to mention that I actually paid attention in school. Even going to such lengths that I learned to spell the word "you".

I tried to find something conclusive on whether they had beards, anywhere, books, internet etc.

However, I think you dreamt that (that they didn't). I've been able to conclude that they didn't have moustaches, according to many sources, however.
    As for the other matter, different sources say different things, and at the end that doesn't really matter, seeing as how it's Miller's take on it, so.

The person you initially replied to might have been wrong, however, that doesn't make you more right.

5. Movies & TV   -   #185
    Gay attack on grammar

From your posts and the speed of your replies u seem to spend all your day in forums, the typical forum troll, attacking me koz I made abbreviations and shortcuts.
    Last edited by sert; 04-26-2007 at 12:45 PM.

6. Movies & TV   -   #186
    titofat's Avatar The Dark BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    It is good movie

7. Movies & TV   -   #187
    Gay attack on grammar

From your posts and the speed of your replies u seem to spend all your day in forums, the typical forum troll, attacking me koz I made abbreviations and shortcuts.
    Nah, I just think you are a tard.

You said:

You are completely dumb, I am Greek and have studied all this in detail for more than 3 years. It is like a teenager from Finland trying to teach me my history.

I told you before leave for a while the forums/wikipedia and read a real book.
    Then you went on to post your "facts"
    Last edited by Snee; 04-26-2007 at 05:11 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #188
    you are the definition of forum troll

a child who has 14000 posts and is registered 4 years ago and therefore thinks he is the forum god

9. Movies & TV   -   #189
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    you are the definition of forum troll

a child who has 14000 posts and is registered 4 years ago and therefore thinks he is the forum god
    You're the troll. Posts like this:
    You are completely dumb, I am Greek and have studied all this in detail for more than 3 years. It is like a teenager from Finland trying to teach me my history.

I told you before leave for a while the forums/wikipedia and read a real book.
    Are the workings of a troll. The guy in question had admitted his mistake and yet you still decided to insult him. People make mistakes, even I have argued a point I thought was true only to be proven wrong. However, all your post there does is cause trouble.

Now, you should leave this thread alone because you are not coming off very well at all. In fact, you're coming across as a bit silly.

10. Movies & TV   -   #190
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    silly spartan boys.