Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Let him be his own man

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    After I watched Braveheart I just couldn't handle the injustice!!
    Many a true word ...

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I don't care if you hate the royals for whatever reason, all I am pointing out is the reality that they are not parasites.
    Yes, and I'm pointing out that they are! You go on keep quoting the dictionary definition of words to get your point across, keep up the good work!
    Is there another way of using words apart from the dictionary definition? The word 'parasite' has a difinite meaning, if you use it, you use the meaning of it. In this case you are wrong, they are not 'parasites', whatever you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    The Union was 300 years ago this very year and was an English contrivance which caused rioting in Scotland. (Money changed hands to bribe key votes in the Scottish Parliament to secure a Yes vote) It was unwanted and unpopular by the ordinary population. The question should be if we are such a drain why have the English wanted to maintain the Union for so long? Do they love us that much?
    The English saved Scotland from going bust after the Darien debacle, it also stopped hundreds, maybe thousands of years of wars.

Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Ok, then explain how they are. Explain exactly what it is about them that is parasitic (remember what the word means, they must contribute nothing and only take).

You could have used many other descriptions.... privileged, hyped, out of touch, spoilt....the list could go on, but parasite is inaccurate.
    Game set and match!

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Pea brains that are involved in making decisions versus a figurehead of state that wasn't voted in...fantastic
    The Royal Family make NO political decisions at all, NONE. You can believe what you want, it doesn't make it so, ALL political decisions in the UK are made by Parliament, and they don't have to be millionaires to get elected.

OIC, the Royal family pays royalties so they can solidify their figurehead position.
    You either can't read or don't want to, nothing unusual there then.

It sounds to me like the Royal family is simply a tourist attraction.
    At least tourist attractions don't take the country into disastrous, illegal, wars.

Hey that's great if brings in more money. However, decision making based on lineage is outdated.
    See above.

Don't fanny about the "nonono they really doooo have power".
    No they don't.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Scottish independence eh, I'm all for it.

Were any of you people watching Question Time last night? If that panel were representative of Scottish politicians then God help you! The only one that talked any sense was that Asian guy.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Pea brains that are involved in making decisions versus a figurehead of state that wasn't voted in...fantastic
    The Royal Family make NO political decisions at all, NONE. You can believe what you want, it doesn't make it so, ALL political decisions in the UK are made by Parliament, and they don't have to be millionaires to get elected.

OIC, the Royal family pays royalties so they can solidify their figurehead position.
    You either can't read or don't want to, nothing unusual there then.

It sounds to me like the Royal family is simply a tourist attraction.
    At least tourist attractions don't take the country into disastrous, illegal, wars.

DUHHHH no shit if they don't make fucking decisions. Eh, aren't you guys in Iraq too? Someone in your country sold the that decision. How about a little less talking and a little more STFU?

Hey that's great if brings in more money. However, decision making based on lineage is outdated.
    See above.

Don't fanny about the "nonono they really doooo have power".
    No they don't.
    With all your other responses I guess we agree. You argue what I've been saying all along.

The Royal family are nothing more than rich tourist attractions. Cool.

It sounds to me like your gubment wants to protect one of your walking, talking tourist attractions. I thinks it's comical but hey we try to protect past Presidents (ya know, real decision makers from the past) so I guess I can understand a wee bit.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The Union was 300 years ago this very year and was an English contrivance which caused rioting in Scotland. (Money changed hands to bribe key votes in the Scottish Parliament to secure a Yes vote) It was unwanted and unpopular by the ordinary population. The question should be if we are such a drain why have the English wanted to maintain the Union for so long? Do they love us that much?
    The English saved Scotland from going bust after the Darien debacle, it also stopped hundreds, maybe thousands of years of wars.
    Most of the wars between Scotland and England revolved around English claims to Scotland not because Scotland was short of a merk or two.

Darien was an ill-conceived and stupid venture but thousands of years of war? Now that is what I call hyperbole. It is because you love us isn't it?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    How about a little less talking and a little more STFU?
    Yes please, how long do you think you can last?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Most of the wars between Scotland and England revolved around English claims to Scotland not because Scotland was short of a merk or two.
    Most of the wars between England and Scotland was over the Scots raiding parties against English towns and villages, the 'walls' weren't built by the Scots to keep the English out!

Darien was an ill-conceived and stupid venture but thousands of years of war? Now that is what I call hyperbole. It is because you love us isn't it?
    Darien bankrupted Scotland, you should be grateful we bailed you out. And I said 'maybe' thousands of years, who knows how long the conflicts have gone on, Hadrian's Wall was built nearly two thousand years ago.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Most of the wars between England and Scotland was over the Scots raiding parties against English towns and villages, the 'walls' weren't built by the Scots to keep the English out!

Darien bankrupted Scotland, you should be grateful we bailed you out. And I said 'maybe' thousands of years, who knows how long the conflicts have gone on, Hadrian's Wall was built nearly two thousand years ago.
    Fortunately we retained our own education, legal and social structures and our history is taught with rather more detail and sophistication than that.

Our track record

At war with

Romans who invaded us
    Vikings who invaded us
    Anglo Saxons who invaded us
    Norman English who invaded us

English - at war with just about anybody you care to mention.

The gist is that as long as we were not being invaded we were quite friendly really. (Cow stealing excepted of course as that is a hobby not warfare)
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    How about a little less talking and a little more STFU?
    Yes please, how long do you think you can last?
    Pretty long actually since through all your arguing you either said what I said already or brought up the dumbass meaningless shit like the fact your royal family doesn't get you into illegal wars like our President does.

I'm sure your grandmum doesn't get your country into wars either. Wtf does that have to do with anything? You guys still went to Iraq, Billy, whether your Queenie decided it or your gubment decided.

You're as idy-otick as ever.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 02-23-2007 at 01:57 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Wtf does that have to do with anything?
    Giving in busybody? I love the way you get mad and insulting when you're shown up, it's one of the reasons I come here.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Wtf does that have to do with anything?
    Giving in busybody? I love the way you get mad and insulting when you're shown up, it's one of the reasons I come here.
    That's just it, Billy. I wasn't.

You bring up something that has nothing to do with the other and then claim a victory.

You bring up that your tourist attraction doesn't get your country into illegal wars so I brought up that neither does your grandmum. You bring all this up while you have soldiers in Iraq.

Again, please grab a can of STFU and suck it down to keep in practice.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast