Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internet Brower

hey people! if a site says you cant use Opera theyre probabely wrong.

Let opera enter the site (to do that u have to let opera identify as msie6.0) - (press F12 in opera to configure) its really easy.

Opera rules: it loads a site fast if u have a slow connection: it shows the parts of the site already downloaded while downloading. That way you can already read/click a link. MSIE only does that with pictures etc but opera does that with more parts of the site. Ive encountered hardly any incompatibies. so things arent centered while they should be but thats all.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    what i want to know is how you can strip the damn thing down [ie6] so that it doesn't clutter up everything else...i was reading in a mag that someone has two drives one for browsing and the other for the non-internet stuff..i looked in the registery and ie6 is everywhere like a disease...im sure its responsible for the crashing and everything else generally...you would think microsoft could come up with a better browser...i preferred netscape but i get use msdn

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    just in response to all the negative comments on Opera.

Ive had it for a few months now, and I haven't yet needed to use IE. The only time I do is when i want to use the ftp, because I find it easier to seperate them on the taskbar, to see that Opera is for surfing, and IE is for uploading. And yes, there is a small banner ad, but if you register (or look on kazaa ) then thats not a prob.

The fact that you can configure everything in Opera makes it stand out, far above anything else. The skins make it nice to look at, all the menus can be configured by changing the ini files (even easy for me, who doesn't know a great deal) and the mouse gestures (which, again, are customisable) make browsing simple.
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    On the issue of speed, I was just experimenting with both browsers and this forum. I think Opera loads a little quicker. I am using DSL so both browsers are fast.

For anyone using dial-up one of the great features in opera is the show images button. From the tool bar you can "turn off" images on pages, making the page load faster. Its not a big help if you are surfing for pictures (obviously) but on a forum like this one, where there are a lot of images (ie signatures and animated avatars) that you don&#39;t really need to see you can turn them off and the page will load faster. A great feature for you 56k spammers out there.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ynhockey@26 May 2003 - 05:14
    Lol not for me... i&#39;ve got an ok comp and IE 6 takes ~3 secs to load, while Opera loads the moment i click it.
    That&#39;s weird... On my system (Athlon 1.4GHz, 512MB DDR333 RAM, 120GB HD w/ 8MB internal cache, WinXP Pro), it&#39;s the opposite. Opera 7.11 takes a few seconds to load up, and IE only takes about one second.

Oh well, I use Mozilla anyway. Yeah, it loads slower, but you can&#39;t beat it for W3C standards compatability. Opera claims to be completely standards compliant, but when I used 6.03, it rendered sooooo many things completely wrong that I don&#39;t trust it anymore.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    The people that think Opera is worse that I.E. dont know how to configure Opera.

After trying Opera i could never go back to I.E. ...it takes I.E. so much longer to load a page.

If for some reason your system crashes, Opera will remember all of the sites you were on and ask if you want to pick up where you left off

And as another person posted you need to go into preferences and check to identify as MSIE 5.0

The only thing i did not like is i could not get Opera to accept eDonkey links.. but i figured out how to solve that.

Another Browser that runs on the Explorer engine is "Fast Browser". it has tabs like Opera and alot of other great features, but is only a few mb in size

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Yes I&#39;ve used Netscape and Mozilla.
    The old old netscape was decent but AOL just can&#39;t resist trying to take over your computer and control your entire ONLINE and to a lesser extent your offline experience.

If anything by AOL Softwae of any kind is running or even installed in your computer it will try and dominate everything it can.

I don&#39;t have anything bad to say about Mozilla as I haven&#39;t used it enough to make a judgment.
    btw I like Opera I just wish it would work better

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    I wander why nobody has mentioned Avant Browser?? it is just like opera &#39;cept faster and much much better&#33; hmm, maybe you people just havn&#39;t heard of it... well i highly recommend you all get it immediately&#33;

http://www.avantbrowser.com

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    mmmm.
    Never heard of it.
    I went to the link you put up and Avant looks interesting.
    I need more input before I try it.
    All you avant users chime in please.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Opera + IE = Advant I love it.

All the compatibility plus customizable features and speed. Never had any complaints with it. Skinable too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast