Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Vs Software Firewall Router

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i haven't had much luck in software firewalls so i figured i would try out the hardware. which is better? maybe they are both about the same? lol, 'cept the hardware one imma have to pay for. i'm kinda looking for a manufacturer that has updated firmware if needed and a decent router for thru traffic while downloading large files. while that working i would also like for it to have onboard firewall. that's good? idk. i'm just trying to knock out 2 birds with a single stone, ya know?

i'm cum across this. it's a good one? d-link is better? need some help here plz.

i'll be going to frys tomarrow for some window shopping and if i can't find what i need i'll just order online. depending on if best buy has anything to offer, but prob not seeing how "Your Best Buys Are Always At Frys!"
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    hmm, well I would think that a hardware one would be better no? Since it is standalone and would only do the job its meant to do. I use a junksys firewall router, and it seems fine except its a linksys, and they are junk. If you had money, I would buy a netscreen router by juniper. Ebay has them. New they cost about 400-500 bucks.

But I really dont know which would be the best cuz I have only ever used a hardware firewall.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³ View Post
    If you had money, I would buy a netscreen router by juniper. Ebay has them. New they cost about 400-500 bucks.
    i have the money and money isn't an issue, but i can't see myself spending $500 on a router. i was thinking of $100 tops.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If you're considering the router in the first post then look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124010

It adds wireless capability and has a lower price. (Wireless can be disabled).

Hardware firewall is a great way to protect your network from outside attack.
    But remember that you may still want a software firewall too.
    A software firewall can be set up to block undesired outgoing communications.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    If you're considering the router in the first post then look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124010

It adds wireless capability and has a lower price. (Wireless can be disabled).

Hardware firewall is a great way to protect your network from outside attack.
    But remember that you may still want a software firewall too.
    A software firewall can be set up to block undesired outgoing communications.
    yeah, $20 cheaper that one. haven't read up on it yet, but u said wireless can be disabled. i'll be disabling that then. all routers have built in firewalls? the one in the first post specifies it has a built in firewall and that one u posted did not, but then again it says norton @ the top of the box so... any ideas why that one u posted is $20 cheaper. it has wireless. i figured that means it would cost more. no?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I think the reason for the lower price is that they sell a lot more of that model.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok, cool. i went with the LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router Ver. 6. took 30 mins to config and it's working now. worked be4, but had to do a firmware update and some port forwarding.

lol, now i have a:

1. Hardware Firewall - LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router Ver. 6

2a. Software Firewall1 - WinXP SP2 32bit: Comodo Firewall 2.4.18.184

2b. Software Firewall2 - Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64bit - Windows Firewall

3a. Anti-Virus1 - WinXP SP2 32bit: AVG Free Edition 7.5.441

3b. Anti-Virus2 - Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64bit: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2.614

4a. Anti-Spyware - WinXP SP2 32bit: Windows Defender 1.15.2321.2

4b. Anti-Spyware - Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64bit: Windows Defender 1.15.2240.5

5a. IP Blocker - WinXP SP2 32bit: PeerGuardian 2.0 Beta 6c

5b. IP Blocker - Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64bit: awaiting RC1

unstoppable? or just plain dumb and possibly overkill?
    Last edited by mr. nails; 02-22-2007 at 03:42 AM. Reason: updated versions
    Alamo Drafthouse!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I think thats okay. It might be overkill but as long as you dont have multiple firewalls and/or multipleantivirus software running at the same time you should be okay.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    2b. Software Firewall2 - Windows Ultimate Edition 64bit - Windows Firewall

Does that one let you control outgoing communication?

I also assume that is Vista.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    2b. Software Firewall2 - Windows Ultimate Edition 64bit - Windows Firewall

Does that one let you control outgoing communication?

I also assume that is Vista.
    yeah, i meant vista. missed that somehow and yes it controls incoming/outgoing traffic. i mite use a 3rd party firewall, but there are none that support vista atm that i'm aware of.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast