Thread: The Next 200 Million Dollar MLB Player

Prior's Avatar Cub-A-Holic
    With the recent influx of 100+ million dollar contracts to players such as Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee and Barry Zito, a question came to mind. And that is who do you believe will be the next player in baseball to recieve a 200+ million dollar contract? Currently only one player, Alex Rodriguez, is a part of this exclusive club (Mannys contract has an 8 year/160 million dollar base with two 20 million club options, so as of now he isnt included in this group).

My pick is Johan Santana. The 4 year/40 million dollar deal he signed with Minnesota in 2005 is set to expire after the 2008 season. And with Minnesota being virtually unable to sign Santana to the megadeal he would require, he's nearly guaranteed to hit the free agent market and start a massive bidding war. The question then would be how far a team might bid to land Santanas services considering Barry Zito, a pitcher not in Santanas league, just signed a 7 year/126 deal. With the Zito contract serving as a benchmark for future ace pitchers hitting the free agent market, 200+ million might just be a realistic possiblity for MLB's best pitcher.

BTW, I would have posted a poll for the thread but I didnt see a poll option while creating this.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    I think Alex Rodriguez will be the next 200 million man. Or in the future it might be Philip Hughes!

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain1234 View Post
    I think Alex Rodriguez will be the next 200 million man. Or in the future it might be Philip Hughes!
    What are u talking about? Arod's already in that club.

@Prior You're right though with the assumption that the next player to crack the $200 million barrier will be a pitcher and not an everyday player. Pitchers right now, even mediocre ones, are getting ridiculously fat contracts to the point of absurdity. Case and point: Andy Pettite - $16 M / 1 year contract. And i'm a Yankee fan!

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    ok, how about Chris Carpenter for the 200 Million player? He is young and has a bright future ahead of him.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain1234 View Post
    ok, how about Chris Carpenter for the 200 Million player? He is young and has a bright future ahead of him.
    I dont know about this. I dont see Carpenter in the same level as Santana. And he's not that young. He's 31.