Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Skeptic's View of Global Warming...

kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    Oh j2, stubborn as usual

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    The voice-over (Gore) states that glaciers are receding everywhere, and sea-levels will soon rise twenty feet.

The irony is that, while he's banging on about receding glaciers, on the screen is depicted huge glacial "calving" events, wherein massive chunks of ice break from the parent ice-pack and fall quite spectacularly into the ocean.

For those who aren't aware, calving is a sign of glacial growth.

An Inconvenient Truth, indeed.
    well if you can't be arsed neither can i. For those who aren't aware J2 is talking out of his backside.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    For those who aren't aware J2 is talking out of his backside.
    Don't tell me you've only just worked that out?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The voice-over (Gore) states that glaciers are receding everywhere, and sea-levels will soon rise twenty feet.

The irony is that, while he's banging on about receding glaciers, on the screen is depicted huge glacial "calving" events, wherein massive chunks of ice break from the parent ice-pack and fall quite spectacularly into the ocean.

care to read up on the subject and revise the above statements?
    I've changed my mind about replying, as it is entirely possible in this day and age that you are not aware that calving occurs when a glacier grows beyond the parent land-mass and extends, unsupported, over water.

It's great weight comes to bear, and calving occurs.

I'm well-aware Al Gore would have you believe otherwise, but it really is that simple.

That the entire global-warming apparatus is engaged in an effort to hide or obscure this simple fact from you is significant, wouldn't you say?

The presentation of global-warming "data" is fraught with similar instances of "scientific" dishonesty.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

well if you can't be arsed neither can i. For those who aren't aware J2 is talking out of his backside.
    I don't think this would add a lot to global warming. Unless you set light to it.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

care to read up on the subject and revise the above statements?
    I've changed my mind about replying, as it is entirely possible in this day and age that you are not aware that calving occurs when a glacier grows beyond the parent land-mass and extends, unsupported, over water.

It's great weight comes to bear, and calving occurs.
    calving isn't a sign of anything. Glaciers have been calving every day for the last x million years, even during the ice ages.

Calving is when a section of glacier which is over water is insufficiently supported and breaks off. There are a bunch of reasons why a section might not be sufficiently supported e.g., glacial advance, the glacier retreating from its moraine shelf, addition of weight (e.g. fresh snow), glacial thinning due to melting etc...

A simple google search will tell you all you need to know about glacier calving, the information isn't being witheld from you, there isn't a global conspiracy out to fool you.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27

calving isn't a sign of anything. Glaciers have been calving every day for the last x million years, even during the ice ages.
    Ah, thank you very much for obliging my argument, Ian; I actually thought it would be someone else.

If, as you say, "calving isn't a sign of anything", then why is Al Gore so reliant on the imagery to convince you he's right?

And you fall for it.

Amazing.

I rest my case, with your unwitting help.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

Ah, thank you very much for obliging my argument, Ian; I actually thought it would be someone else.

If, as you say, "calving isn't a sign of anything", then why is Al Gore so reliant on the imagery to convince you he's right?

And you fall for it.

Amazing.

I rest my case, with your unwitting help.

who falls for what? it's a fact that sea ice is melting.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Umm i haven't fallen for anything, I haven't even seen the film and I haven't given you anything 'unwittingly'. I wasn't arguing with you about global warming, I merely wanted you to retract some incorrect statements because some people might think you know what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    The voice-over (Gore) states that glaciers are receding everywhere (i bet he doesn't say this), and sea-levels will soon rise twenty feet.

Its not ironic at all its pretty relevant, when ice drifts off into the ocean it melts, and contributes to sea level rises

Completely incorrect. Calving occurs almost regardless of what the glacier is doing and therefore on its own is a sign of nothing other than a loss of ice. The amount of calving that is occuring could be an indicator of something, i would have to watch the film to find out if gore mentions anything like this. Also it might interest you to learn that more ice is lost through calving when a glacier is retreating than advancing
    So all in all theres nothing ironic about it, and when you consider that there have been huge breakups of ice recently that are most likely due to thinning of ice, (e.g that ice shelf in antarctica) the film isn't really misleading.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Umm i haven't fallen for anything, I haven't even seen the film and I haven't given you anything 'unwittingly'. I wasn't arguing with you about global warming, I merely wanted you to retract some incorrect statements because some people might think you know what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    The voice-over (Gore) states that glaciers are receding everywhere (i bet he doesn't say this), and sea-levels will soon rise twenty feet.

Its not ironic at all its pretty relevant, when ice drifts off into the ocean it melts, and contributes to sea level rises

Completely incorrect. Calving occurs almost regardless of what the glacier is doing and therefore on its own is a sign of nothing other than a loss of ice. The amount of calving that is occuring could be an indicator of something, i would have to watch the film to find out if gore mentions anything like this. Also it might interest you to learn that more ice is lost through calving when a glacier is retreating than advancing
    So all in all theres nothing ironic about it, and when you consider that there have been huge breakups of ice recently that are most likely due to thinning of ice, (e.g that ice shelf in antarctica) the film isn't really misleading.
    What do you mean, "isn't really misleading"?

If your (and Gore's) contentions are so all-fired truthful and logical, why not go for, say, totally up-front-and-on-the-level-without-any-hype-whatsoever"?

You are continuing to make my point.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast