Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Skeptic's View of Global Warming...

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Umm i haven't fallen for anything, I haven't even seen the film and I haven't given you anything 'unwittingly'. I wasn't arguing with you about global warming, I merely wanted you to retract some incorrect statements because some people might think you know what you're talking about.

So all in all theres nothing ironic about it, and when you consider that there have been huge breakups of ice recently that are most likely due to thinning of ice, (e.g that ice shelf in antarctica) the film isn't really misleading.
    What do you mean, "isn't really misleading"?

If your (and Gore's) contentions are so all-fired truthful and logical, why not go for, say, totally up-front-and-on-the-level-without-any-hype-whatsoever"?

You are continuing to make my point.
    you don't have a point

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    If the Republican Party's stance on 'colours' was "Black is White", j2 would argue the point, and quote Fox News to back this up.

A thousand members could then post proof, including photos, videos, and expert testimony from colour scientists, showing that black was black, and white was white, but j2 would still argue, unless he saw on Fox that they were wrong all along ... he'd them blame the members here for misunderstanding what he said in the first place.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    If the Republican Party's stance on 'colours' was "Black is White", j2 would argue the point, and quote Fox News to back this up.

A thousand members could then post proof, including photos, videos, and expert testimony from colour scientists, showing that black was black, and white was white, but j2 would still argue, unless he saw on Fox that they were wrong all along ... he'd them blame the members here for misunderstanding what he said in the first place.
    i don't understand why he's ignoring me

i actually know exactly what his point is, or was 'til he realised it was stupid. thinking about it though, it really doesn't matter what the background visuals are. the message is that sea ice is melting, the fact is that sea ice is melting.

i presume that he's realised that his idea of using technically irrelevant imagery to drive home a point is left wing spin, is silly because the words match the facts

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post

i don't understand why he's ignoring me

i actually know exactly what his point is, or was 'til he realised it was stupid. thinking about it though, it really doesn't matter what the background visuals are. the message is that sea ice is melting, the fact is that sea ice is melting.

i presume that he's realised that his idea of using technically irrelevant imagery to drive home a point is left wing spin, is silly because the words match the facts
    Nearly everyone in the drawing Room would make good politicians. They don't answer the relevant points. They argue about some little pedantic point where they think that they will 'win'. No person is correct all the time .
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Umm i haven't fallen for anything, I haven't even seen the film and I haven't given you anything 'unwittingly'. I wasn't arguing with you about global warming, I merely wanted you to retract some incorrect statements because some people might think you know what you're talking about.

So all in all theres nothing ironic about it, and when you consider that there have been huge breakups of ice recently that are most likely due to thinning of ice, (e.g that ice shelf in antarctica) the film isn't really misleading.
    What do you mean, "isn't really misleading"?

If your (and Gore's) contentions are so all-fired truthful and logical, why not go for, say, totally up-front-and-on-the-level-without-any-hype-whatsoever"?

You are continuing to make my point.
    As i said in my last post, i couldn't give a damn about your point, I wouldn't care if i proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    Do you accept that you were wrong to claim Gore got his science ass-backwards? Yay or nay

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    [youtube]5BjrOi4vF24[/youtube]

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Do you accept that you were wrong to claim Gore got his science ass-backwards? Yay or nay
    That would be a "nay", of course.

You are fine with his misuse of the imagery in aid of his cause, then?

Yay or nay, please.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    That would be a "nay", of course.

You are fine with his misuse of the imagery in aid of his cause, then?

Yay or nay, please.
    it's hardly misuse of imagery, but to the situation of him narrating to videos of calving i'd say yay. it's not misleading so feck awf

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Haha! j2 is caught with his knickers in a twist again.

This is what j2 said ..

The irony is that, while he's banging on about receding glaciers, on the screen is depicted huge glacial "calving" events, wherein massive chunks of ice break from the parent ice-pack and fall quite spectacularly into the ocean.

For those who aren't aware, calving is a sign of glacial growth.
    Now, we know that calving is NOT just a sign of glacial growth, but also, and far more often, a sign of glacial decline. We also know that glaciers all over the world, not all of them, but most, are in decline.

So, according to j2, for Gore to claim glaciers are receding, is wrong, and misleading.

So j2, please explain how this is a misuse of imagery?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Now, we know that calving is NOT just a sign of glacial growth, but also, and far more often, a sign of glacial decline. We also know that glaciers all over the world, not all of them, but most, are in decline.

Prove that, please.

Or are you claiming to be a climatologist, now.

You implied earlier that Sowell wasn't qualified to comment owing to his lack of qualification in this regard.

Now you claim that, in a preponderance of cases (enough to constitute a rule-of-thumb presumption), calving indicates glacial recession, and therefore any footage of such an event is suitable evidence of global warming and nothing else, correct?

Yes or no, please.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast