Thread: Cisco and Apple's to share iPhone

frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    CISCO Systems and Apple have agreed to share the iPhone brand, dismissing Cisco's lawsuit for trademark infringement.

The agreement allowed both companies to use the iPhone name and called for their products to work together in the future, the companies said yesterday.

The settlement ends a six-week dispute between the Silicon Valley giants and puts California-based Apple on schedule to start selling its combination iPod music player and mobile phone under the iPhone brand in June.

The decision comes two weeks after Apple ended decades of litigation with the Beatles over rights to use the Apple name and logo.

"IPhone is worth a hell of a lot more to Apple than to Cisco," said John Daniel, a partner at New York law firm Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel. "The 'i' prefix is what Apple has been developing, and if it didn't have that, it would be unhappy."

Cisco, the world's largest maker of computer networking equipment, claimed last month that Apple's iPhone violated a trademark owned by Cisco since 2000. Apple called the suit "silly" because its iPhone differs from Cisco's internet-based home phone.

Apple approached Cisco about using the name several times during the past year and announced the product before an agreement was reached, according to a blog posted by Cisco general counsel Mark Chandler.

Apple still faces possible delays in Canada where Comwave Telecom has used the iPhone brand since 2004 to sell web-based phone services.

Comwave said in January it had filed documents opposing Apple's motion to take the name.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said last month he expected to sell 10 million iPhones, which cost as much as $US599 ($754) apiece, in 2008.

Cisco's iPhone is part of its Linksys home routeing unit, which it purchased in 2003 to tap the consumer market. The phones, which sell for $US100, enable web-based calls through Skype and Yahoo's Messenger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interoperability? This isn't Apple's business model.

Source: http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Surprised/Amazed

Hmmmm, I didn't see this coming. Wierd. Glad to hear it dropped the suit, just gettin' tired of hearing of all the court cases, too.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Expects to sell 10 million at $754 a pop?!?!?

Apple has lost their fucking minds!

yo

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    And it only costs half that to manufacture.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    maxehhh's Avatar Downloader BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    lol, i knew that Cisco uses the I but i didnt know than this were going to get that far...

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by frizshizzle View Post
    And it only costs half that to manufacture.
    It's not even out yet no one will know how much it cost to make till it is out.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    a decent mobile phone that uses 802.11 whenever it can sounds good

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    My girlfriend works for Cingular, and based on what I've seen on previous similarly priced phones, I guarantee that they will sell at least 10 Million.

When the V3 (RAZR) first came out it was over $600 dollars, and yet EVERYONE had one. Even more so now. This last December the BlackBerry Pearl was over $500 and she told me of a day that they sold 10+ in a single day, in that one store.

What you're not taking into account is the fact that cell phone companies offer huge discounts on phones with a 2 year contract agreement.

What sucks about the iPhone though is that it works on outdated technology. Cingular ( Now AT&T ) is now on the 3G network, and is capable of lower tier DSL speeds of wireless broadband. Yet the iPhone is based on the old EDGE technology that isn't feasibly capable of transfering full MP3's or the itunes converts.
    Last edited by Damnatory; 03-10-2007 at 07:44 AM.