Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diskkeeper

shite...does any one know why DiskKeeper says my c drive is still heavily fragmented despite the fact windows just spent 4.5 hours defragmenting the thing. ..also does it rearrange so that pc runs faster?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    dont trust any 3rd party Defragers.

The "microsoft" one works fine.

The Windows XP one is really updated and works even better.

Stuff like Diskeeper, Norton Speeddisk, etc is just the same thing, but the programmers didnt understand windows as much, so they ushally cause problems.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@25 May 2003 - 22:46
    dont trust any 3rd party Defragers.

The "microsoft" one works fine.

The Windows XP one is really updated and works even better.

Stuff like Diskeeper, Norton Speeddisk, etc is just the same thing, but the programmers didnt understand windows as much, so they ushally cause problems.
    the defragger in Win XP is written by the same people that write Diskeeper, infact it's called Diskeeper Lite due to it's reduced function set. Microsoft did their usual trick of using other peoples software.

The reason Diskeeper may have left some "fragmented" files is because it's optomised for workstations and servers, which have slightly differing needs for defragmenting, or there just wasn't enough free continuous space to put it in, if it's the first time you've run it I'd suggest a running it through agian and scheduling it to run once a week

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    i looked at the About thing on Windows XP Defrag and it doesnt say anything about DiskKeeper... just says Microsoft. ....confused....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Two versions of Diskeeper are available — one for Servers and one for Workstations.

Windows Versions and Platforms Supported
    Two versions of Diskeeper are available:

Diskeeper Server is supported on Windows 2000 Server and Professional, as well as on Windows NT 4.0 Server and Workstation operating systems. Diskeeper Server is also compatible with Windows XP.

Diskeeper Workstation is supported on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, and 2000 Professional. Note that OEM Service Release 2 (OSR 2) or higher is required on Windows 95 systems and Service Pack 3 or higher is required on Windows NT 4.0. Diskeeper Workstation is also compatible with Windows XP.

An earlier version, Diskeeper 1.09, is available on request for Windows NT 3.5 and 3.51 systems running with Service Packs 0 through 4.

Diskeeper operates on the Intel x86 platform (including Pentium and compatible CPUs from other manufacturers).

File Systems Supported
    Diskeeper supports these file systems:

Operating System
    File Systems

Windows 2000/XP
    NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32

Windows NT 4.0
    NTFS and FAT16

Windows 95/98/Me
    FAT16 and FAT32

Note that the 12-bit FAT file system is not supported. (The 12-bit FAT file system is used on FAT volumes smaller than 16 megabytes in size, such as floppy disks). In addition, NTFS volumes formatted with a cluster size larger than 4 kilobytes are not supported.

Disks Supported
    Diskeeper supports a wide range of SCSI and IDE disks, including:

Primary Partitions

Extended Partitions

Logical Drives

Volume Sets

RAID Arrays

Mirrored Disks

Theory of Operation:

As used in reference to Windows operating systems, disk fragmentation means two things:

a condition in which pieces of individual files on a disk volume are not contiguous, but rather are broken up and scattered around the volume; and

a condition in which the free space on a volume consists of little pieces of space here and there rather than a few large free spaces.

The effects of excessive fragmentation are twofold as well:

file access takes longer because a file must be collected in pieces here and there, requiring several disk accesses instead of just one; and

file creations take longer because space for the file must be allocated in little pieces here and there instead of just one contiguous allocation.

Before the introduction of Diskeeper, there was no method for completely correcting the problems of file and free space fragmentation on Windows NT computers or in a mixed Windows network.

In designing Diskeeper, the following goals were established:

The product must be completely safe to use.

It must improve Windows system performance. It is not designed to make the disk look "pretty" — it is designed to improve disk performance and, as a result, overall system performance.

It should process live disks without interfering with user access to files.

It should run without operator intervention.

It must defragment all possible files and consolidate free space into the smallest possible number of large spaces.
    Oh and it works very well for me on Xp Home. Wouldn't go back to the standard MS defrag after using this! B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@26 May 2003 - 02:46
    i looked at the About thing on Windows XP Defrag and it doesnt say anything about DiskKeeper... just says Microsoft. ....confused....
    Look at the about box again - "Copyright © 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International, Inc"

Executive Software are the people that write diskeeper

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Supernode's Avatar SWEDISH BT Rep: +1
    Get perfectdisk and get happy
    Diskeeper is shit, try perfectdisk and you will know.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Diskeeper works just fine for me { win XP pro } never had a problem with it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    phew cheers.....perfect disk okay i'm on it diskeeper is outta here

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yes PerfectDisk by Raxco.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast