Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The last resting place of Jesus and Mary

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    This tomb was found over 10 years ago and is not exactly "news". I will watch the programme with interest - although I think I will keep a jaundiced eye on all the hype. It is very easy for good archaeology to get swamped with Da Vinci Code type nonsense.
    20 years ago; I believe it was discovered in the 1980s.

Very possibly - the days and years seem to slide past at an ever-increasing pace
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    As with all things like this I cannot see how it would change the minds of the "faithful". Even if science could prove without doubt jesus was just a family man and was never crucified, the faithful would claim something like God or the Devil placed the tomb there to "test them".

The faithful will embrace as unequivocal evidence things like the cross fragments, the Turin shroud or rock formations that look like timber as being the fossilised remains of Noah's ark. The same goes in reverse for those of different or no faith.

I don't think that the period of time that has passed between discovery and claim of what the relic actually is, is that important when it comes to proof. The discovery may be old news but it needs to be studied etc. which will take time, and even then the conclusion could be wrong.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    As with all things like this I cannot see how it would change the minds of the "faithful". Even if science could prove without doubt jesus was just a family man and was never crucified, the faithful would claim something like God or the Devil placed the tomb there to "test them".

The faithful will embrace as unequivocal evidence things like the cross fragments, the Turin shroud or rock formations that look like timber as being the fossilised remains of Noah's ark. The same goes in reverse for those of different or no faith.

I don't think that the period of time that has passed between discovery and claim of what the relic actually is, is that important when it comes to proof. The discovery may be old news but it needs to be studied etc. which will take time, and even then the conclusion could be wrong.
    Agreed, indeed the more measured the examination and the more weighed the assessment the more comfortable I will be with the programme. I tend to get irritated with Erich Von Danikin type non sequiturs but then I am a grumpy old man in training.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

Agreed, indeed the more measured the examination and the more weighed the assessment the more comfortable I will be with the programme. I tend to get irritated with Erich Von Danikin type non sequiturs but then I am a grumpy old man in training.
    Does he annoy you by letting his hedge and trees grow wild?

Religion and the lack of it are like politics. You will never sway from your side of the fence. I am testing all the religions at the moment. Just to be on the safe side.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I've not read the DaVinci Code, so I can't really comment on it. I might watch this documentary, depends what else is on at the time.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    I've not read the DaVinci Code, so I can't really comment on it.
    What a short memory you have JP.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/loung...ci-code-108766

Not only did you comment on it, you started a thread to do just that.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

Thanks for that.

You really should get something to do. Start an internet forum or something. Bit of a hobby would help you out, honestly.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28

To be fair his opening line was "What a load of pish, I won't be reading that well"

It is also fair to say that the Da Vinci Code is just a work of fiction that some seem to think is fact. I haven't read it either although I have seen a couple of documentaries on it. I was nearly moved to give it a chance and read it because of Brian Sewell's spectacularly pompous views but decided to give him a bit of latitude as he is a bit of a fabricated caricature hinself

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    You really should get something to do. Start an internet forum or something. Bit of a hobby would help you out, honestly.
    Haha, I should get something to do, and this from someone with over 30,000 posts on this forum alone.

At least I get out of the house every day!

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    Haha, I should get something to do, and this from someone with over 30,000 posts on this forum alone.

At least I get out of the house every day!
    Yeah but that's to get your medication and boy do we see it when you forget to take it.

Care in the community is such a cruel system. Tho' I see you're in a calm phase just now. Have they altered the dose at all.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast