Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Poll: How Much Upload Bandwidth Do U Allow Ppl

Fasttracker A
    4500 roughly /Unlimited 4.5mbsdsl
    8 slots download /5 upload

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    i dont understand all this stuff..i just want to share fairly without my system going to hell....288U/576D kbps ...i normally leave it on unlimited bandwidth upload and 5 slots...anyone recommend anything else?i notice one will upload at 30kb/s while all the others are struggling on 1kb/s or 0.00kb/s more often than not!!!!!!

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by melgl@27 May 2003 - 14:28
    i dont understand all this stuff..i just want to share fairly without my system going to hell....288U/576D kbps ...i normally leave it on unlimited bandwidth upload and 5 slots...anyone recommend anything else?i notice one will upload at 30kb/s while all the others are struggling on 1kb/s or 0.00kb/s more often than not!!!!!!
    That fast 1 is almost always a leech!
    Do a filesearch on the next one you see and abort them if they're not sharing and see if the others speed up.
    You may have to abort the fast one, CLEAR the finished/aborted uploads quickly, then lower upload slots by 1 -- to kill the reconnecting leech.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    how do you do a file search on a user?

s'ok i got it

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Double Agent
    this is a poll, peeps, just give us ur numbers in kb/s.

also if u know the monthly bandwidth allocation that ur isp has allowed, that would be helpful too.

my isp give me:
    1200kb/s down 350kb/s up average
    6GB download 1GB upload monthly

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    576kbps down, 288kbps up
    Unlimited download/upload

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@28 May 2003 - 18:01
    my isp give me:
    1200kb/s down 350kb/s up average
    6GB download 1GB upload monthly
    Oh man, I'm sorry -- those bandwidth monthly consumption limits (6GB download 1GB upload monthly) are worse than a 56k!

Mine's unlimited, but I manage about 1-4 GB down a day and 1.5-2.5 GB up a day.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    30GB dl / 7.5GB ul a month.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    I set mine to half the max on the upload side and the max on users. I figure theres nothing worse than waiting in a que. Plus i usually have something else going like ed, tb or irc.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by scruge@29 May 2003 - 18:26
    I set mine to half the max on the upload side and the max on users.  I figure theres nothing worse than waiting in a que.  Plus i usually have something else going like ed, tb or irc.
    Unfortunately, there IS something worse than waiting in a queue -- downloading at <0.1KB/sec tops.
    (Or getting lots of disconnects as well AND corrupt downloads.)

EACH upload has overhead communication data that is not part of the file being sent. If there&#39;s too many uploads at once, the communication data is all you&#39;re sending -- very little FILE data (they&#39;re getting 1 byte of the file in each 41 byte ip packet...)

Setting uploads high enough so that they use up all your available bandwidth AND give out 1 KB/sec or more each is almost a must.

By keeping the uploads reasonable, they will also complete quicker, thus the queue (however long) is completed quicker.

10 uploads at once and a queue 10 long
    is worse than
    5 uploads at once and a queue 15 long
    -- even though that&#39;s only 20 total in either case.
    This is because the 5 uploads at once can go more than twice as fast as 10 uploads at once.

Make sense?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast