Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: bitmetv down

site has been hit hard lately, getting timeout to tracker all the time.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    tvip is quite nice once you get to know him
    (although he wouldn't want anyone knowing that, lol)

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    carbon75's Avatar Stronger than steel
    Part of the reason BitMeTV gets hit so hard is that many users wait for shows to be uploaded. In order to get on the torrents early they keep refreshing the torrent pages a few times a minute.
    Lots of users use RSS and that really is the best method for getting regular shows.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Yea more people should use RSS, although it's a huge pain to set up at most private trackers. And then if your filter's even a little off, you can really screw your ratio

I think putting an announce bot in the IRC channel with direct links to the torrents would be helpful.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    With all the problems this site is having, is it still the premier private torrent site for tv? It's sooo hard to get invites...if it's not a well moderated site, do you think it's worth the effort?

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    n00b
    it's a HEAVILY-Moderated site, not a "not-well-moderated site". dealing with the sheer number of members they have is probably the reason one or some of the staff come across as rude. As for tequilavip, he'll openly admit he's an asshole -if you deserve it. About that post of his about "culling" the membership levels, I think it was more of a joke than seriously intended(Members there may recall last year's site-wide april-fools joke about cutting 10,000 accounts via a random lottery to reduce the load on their server) , and the site slowdowns were always occuring in the hour or two when shows like "lost", "prison break" and "24" were being uploaded, so there was at least one valid point there about the source of the server-overload.

Anyway, whatever they did, the site is up & running fine for the last week or so
    Last edited by djkamikaze; 03-17-2007 at 02:17 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by djkamikaze View Post
    it's a HEAVILY-Moderated site, not a "not-well-moderated site". dealing with the sheer number of members they have is probably the reason one or some of the staff come across as rude.
    Dam, they changed this in their latest rules revision a few days ago, but for the past 6 months I've been a member, the Request section rules stated something to this affect:

Quote Originally Posted by Bitmetv Rules
    Making a bad request will get you warned. A second bad request will get your account disabled, and your IP banned.
    So even though it's possible to disable someone's access to the request section, Bitmetv's stated policy was to treat people who made two bad requests like cheaters. I generally hold (held) the above statement up as an example of the quality of moderating you can expect at bitmetv. It's not just a heavily-moderated site, it's a terribly-moderated site.
    Last edited by Sentient; 03-17-2007 at 05:23 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Sorry, couldn't resist emphasizing this gem to lysine, and anyone else who just take threads like this to be ineffective bitching:

Quote Originally Posted by tequilavip
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchdm
    tequilavip is becoming too lenient
    back in the day it was ban ban ban
    now it is just ban ban
    whatever happened to you man!?
    :'-(
    I've been trying to be nicer since I've been reading forums about myself all over the internet. apparently I'm an asshole. A semi-famous one, too. I have forum threads dedicated to myself on other torrentsites and torrent forums all over the place.
    who says you can't get famous being ruthless to people?
    Tbh, I have yet to see many fruits of this labor, but at least he's acknowleging it's having some effect.
    Last edited by Sentient; 03-17-2007 at 04:46 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Ahh he is a good guy and works very hard on the forums. It gets difficult though, after a while when you get a lot of cheaters and abusive members. He has coped quite well considering the volume of posts. If you had to mod bmtv for 6 months, I doubt you would still be sane. oh and yes, the site is running rather nicely now, don't you think Prepare for it running even better soon.
    Last edited by ibslice; 03-18-2007 at 11:10 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    ah ibslice. If you weren't defending tvip, I'd swear you were an imposter. This is the real Ibslice:

Quote Originally Posted by Ibslice
    @ mlb06uk . Rather than complaining, how about write a new innovative secure form of RSS. Whats that? You don't know how? Then shut it.
    In response to someone asking when RSS will be back up. Guy got a warning too. I mean really, how dare he ask such a thing? Doesn't he know Ibslice is far too busy bragging about site updates "coming soon" all over the internet? And don't these stupid users know bitmetv measures time differently than everyone else? It doesn't just apply to seeding, features that were disabled in October have been "coming soon" for the past 6 months.

I guess they disable people so quickly there, they're surprised anyone still remembers promises made so long ago.
    Last edited by Sentient; 03-20-2007 at 12:24 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast