ok on my hardrive it goes i got 40gigs left
    and using 60
    yet when i open my harddrive folder
    and higlite all and press properties
    it show me using only 40gigs
    so whats the other 20 gigs used for?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ok, im going to guess here and a little tip u might wanna use

if u have many programs that use alot memory they take up some hard disk space...for example, windows- its around 700mb on my system(all the folders and such) but in reality wen i installed it i had over 1.5 gigabytes used with nothing besides windows....it might be that or an error...

so try to do this if u may have an error...
    download norotn system works 2003(try the iso file, theyre better) burn it, and install the enitre systemworks with utillities NAV and watever you might wants thats on the cd but make sure u have the utillities! wen u installed thoes, go to the NSW folder and in the utillities first do windoctor, then speed disk, then disk doctor, and then clean sweap(if u installed it, not necessary but frees up disk space) ad watever else you might want to do, but do those that i listed because all those fix errors...
    hope this helps

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    do you have a step back program , most new comps do but the thing that most people dont do is delet the check points, was round at my sis home and after being on her comp for 5 mins new the amount of space she had ued on her hd was to much for her programs she had, had about 1.5gig in her temp and internet folders so did a disc cleanup, the checked her step back program, she had it to set to make backup every day plus a 1month keep, that was a waste of her hd, it set to 1 a week check point and not to keep after, i dont have one myself as its a waste i just use a small back up hard drive for the rare mess up

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ok, i guess you are running xp.

System restore takes up a lot of room and the files for that are hidden. Try using Treesize pro, that shows you where all the hard disk space is allocated.

The first thing i do when installing XP is to dis-able system restore (right click my pc, prop, sys restore) It is a tool for amatures who dont know how to correct an error in the op system. It uses up too much system resources and disk space to be worth anything.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by eel@29 May 2003 - 20:00
    Ok, i guess you are running xp.

System restore takes up a lot of room and the files for that are hidden.  Try using Treesize pro, that shows you where all the hard disk space is allocated.

The first thing i do when installing XP is to dis-able system restore (right click my pc, prop, sys restore) It is a tool for amatures who dont know how to correct an error in the op system.  It uses up too much system resources and disk space to be worth anything.
    Don't have to disable restore, just use the Clean Disk feature. Hop over to 2nd tab and last feature allows you to clean out all restore points except most current one. If you have your drive partitioned, yeah I would disable Restore Points on those and just keep the Primary Partition C: drive enable.

I'm not an amateur but I use it. Rather roll back in a minute or two than to sit and diagnose the issue. Handy tool for all whether beginner, intermediate or pro.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Fasttracker A
    A good point ,I would suggest that if you have a large hard drive like my self
    partition it run programs on on and download on the other.

Thats what I do ,and that way its easy to defragment.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    h1
    you're looking at the total in BYTES. you need to look at the total for BYTES USED.

each file takes up some space other than its contents - for example, my winamp3 folder says 17.3MB but in reality its using around 73MB because of the high number of small files inside.

when you go to properties, look at xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx bytes USED, and divide it by 1073741824 (1024 * 3) to find the total in GB