Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Want To Build A Amd/intel Machine?

Originally posted by lynx@29 May 2003 - 01:38
    2) Symmetrical multiprocessing does NOT mean both processors share the load, it simply means they are capable of doing so. If only one thread is running, only one processor will be in use = half performance. BUT any program which is highly processor intensive should be designed to be multi-threaded - don't blame the hardware for software shortcomings.
    that's exactly what i would tell people to expect. if you get a dual processor computer, both cpus will not be running full bore on every program, because many programs are not multi-threaded. if you're going to invest in such a computer, you should find out whether the programs you use regularly are multi-threaded.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    @ Ian, 3RAN1AC, etc. Thanks for the tips, and ian_, that is a great article.

It appears that the complications of the 90 nanometer process will get worked out, because, it is possible, and Intel has supposedly already had success producing 90 nanometer chips and began marketing them.

However, you are right that there are no guarantees.

But I still think it is a better idea to wait until the next exponential advance to upgrade; do you really think that I would notice a performance upgrade if I don't play any games? I think I would notice the difference only when something radical changes like the 90 nanometer chips, etc.

I am on a computer 8-12 hours a day working, and I appreciate my computer, and want the best I can afford, if it is worth it. Performance is important to me, as I am sure it is important to you.

Thanks for all the help. I have been to many forums, but have never run into people as knowledgeable or kind as on this board.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    I run an AMD MP machine, mobo by Tyan, but it is seriously over-rated. The mandrake linux core works fairly well, but the win2k kernel doesn't utilize the 2nd processor much.

Oh, after dragging the mobo manufacturers into making multi-processor boards (about 3x the trace densityand 1.5x the retail price) they have dropped the multi-processor idea. From what I hear, Windows will no longer support it in later iterations either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123