Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ps2 backup games freezing up

mike160's Avatar Old School
    hello,
    just wanted to see if anyone can please help me out every ps2 game that i have tryed to backup keeps freezing up on me not when playing the game just on the games movie Scenes clips that its freezing up on me i am useing the swap magic 3 plus usa version 3.6 with the ps2 flip-top case i have tryed to use all kind of different dvds like hp Sony verbatim taiyo yuden khypermedia + & - dvds and i even got me a new BenQ 1655 dvd bruner to see if that would work but nothing games still freezing up on me

2. Games   -   #2
    Honestly I don't like the swap technique. I have a old V4 so, every times I tried it didn't worked. Wrost, the swap technique harms your dvd tray optic laser. You shouldn't play ps2 backups that way. If you have a fat ps2 then rush on the MC exploit. Its will unlock the possibility to run ps2 executable (.elf) and then, you will be able to launch ps2 games stored in a HDD (fat ps2 have a HDD bay) as iso. Very usefull. Before being torrent addicted, I use a 180 Gb seagate in my v4. Worked like a charm..

3. Games   -   #3
    hi Melchior00 thanks for the reply do you know were i can go to read more about on how to run ps2 backup games from a hdd or were to get one caues i have no idea how this works

4. Games   -   #4
    Workcheese's Avatar Fruit fucker
    Quote Originally Posted by mike160 View Post
    hi Melchior00 thanks for the reply do you know were i can go to read more about on how to run ps2 backup games from a hdd or were to get one caues i have no idea how this works
    Yeah, go with Melchior00's advice. I got a fat PS2 this year and fixed it to run games off the hard drive with the memory card exploit. I found this site invaluable for its guides: http://www.exploitstation.com/

5. Games   -   #5
    thanks Workcheese but what is a fat ps2

6. Games   -   #6
    thanks Workcheese but what is a fat ps2

The "fat PS2" is the older one on the right it has a bay at the back to fit a hard drive in (you'll need a PS2 network adapter as well). I believe you can only use the memory card exploit on the fat ps2 so you may be out of luck if you have the newer slim version.

There is a USB hard drive program for the slim PS2 but I've heard it has compatibility problems.

7. Games   -   #7
    thanks Workcheese i should be good then caues i have the older one the one on the right but i hope i can get this to work for me caues it sounds a little complicated so to get this to work i would need a ps2 network adapter and a hard drive that fits the back of the fat ps2 do you know how much would this all cost me and were i can get it at can i get it from the link you give me

8. Games   -   #8
    thanks Workcheese i should be good then caues i have the older one the one on the right but i hope i can get this to work for me caues it sounds a little complicated so to get this to work i would need a ps2 network adapter and a hard drive that fits the back of the fat ps2 do you know how much would this all cost me and were i can get it at can i get it from the link you give me
    Most IDE hard drives will work with the PS2, so if you have a spare one hanging around use that (the link I provided has a list of compatible drives). I got my network adapter from Amazon (UK) so that might be a good place to start: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstati...3376429&sr=8-1

You'll need an old PS1 game as well for the memory card exploit.

It is tricky to set up but if you read the guides carefully you should be able to get it up and running without too many problems. It's worth the cost in my opinion because when you've got it all sorted you can download PS2 games to your PC and then stick them on the hard drive,once they're on the hard drive the only time your PS2 will use the DVD drive is when you boot up which will save a lot on wear and tear.

I've got about 40 games on my PS2 hard drive at the moment, which is nice.

9. Games   -   #9
    thanks again Workcheese so am going to need a ps1 game and a ps1 memory card can the ps1 game be a backup copy game and do i need to have a PS2 hard drive and a PS2 network adapter to get this to work is there no other way by just gething the independence installer cd and installing it into the memory and thats all

10. Games   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    thanks again Workcheese so am going to need a ps1 game and a ps1 memory card can the ps1 game be a backup copy game and do i need to have a PS2 hard drive and a PS2 network adapter to get this to work is there no other way by just gething the independence installer cd and installing it into the memory and thats all
    You'll need an original PS1 game but a PS2 memory card to put the exploit on.

I only use the exploit for using my hard drive for games but you can use the exploit to load ELF files to do some of the following things:
    1. -PS2Menu: File manager and ELF launcher.
    2. -KeyLauncher: File Manager and ELF Launcher. Supports USB drives.
    3. -LaunchELF: ELF Launcher. Supports USB drives.
    4. -Cogswap: Allows you to load and start backup discs.
    5. -CDVDLoader: Allows some problem discs to run. Generally used with Swap Magic.
    6. -PS2Link: Allows you to run ELF files on the PS2 without copying them to the memory card first. Loads ELFs from your PC across a LAN.
    7. -BootAdvance: Another ELF Launcher. This one supports USB drives.
    8. -HDL_SERV: Server software used in conjunction with HDL_DUMB to load ISO images of games to the PS2's internal HDD over a network.
    9. -PS2Reality: A media player for PS2 supporting MPEG-4 and MP3 files.
    10. -MC Format: Hard formats a Memory Card. Useful when a power outage of other accident has rendered a memory card unrecognizable in the PS2's browser menu.
    11. -PS2MP3se: A much enhanced version of the original PS2MP3 Player.
    12. -PGEN: A SEGA Genesis emulator for playing classic ROMS on the PS2.
    13. -SNESEMU: A Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulator for PS2.
    14. -MCLoader: An automatic installation application for ELF files.
    15. -Faplink: Similar to HDL-SERV, but far buggier.
    16. -ExecFTP: FTP server for PS2. Allows you to FTP into the PS2 to add new files.
    17. -DMSFormat: A formatting and partitioning tool for PS2 HDDs.
    18. -Pukklink: Similar to PS2Link.
    19. -HDloader: Application that allows you to copy PS2 games to your PS2's HDD and play them from there, allowing for faster load times and reduced wear on your laser.

I don't think using the exploit in place of your swap magic disk is going to help your freezing up problems to be honest. I use Swap Magic but with the slide tool myself for a few games that don't work from the hard drive and haven't had any problems so maybe it's your PS2 laser giving up (they don't like copied games much, it's bad for them). Or, possibly, it's the flip-top itself causing the problems. I've heard that they can be a bit finnickity which is why I went with the slide tool.
    Last edited by Cheese; 03-08-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast