Thread: Notebook mem upgrade

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I've currently got 512MB in two 256MB sticks, PC2700 SDRAM clocking a lousy 166MHz.

I'd like to go to 1GB at least, but I don't know how flexible the other specs are as to clock speed, etc.

Where can I go with this stuff?

It's an Athlon 64 3200; HP Pavilion zv6130.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mindfukced's Avatar Poster
    hi,

you can run the scans from these websites.

http://www.crucial.com/
    http://www.kingston.com/

I use these to find out what I can put in, usually.

found this from Kingston:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

Looks like 2Gb is the max is will take, DDR333 Module
    Hope that helps.

Mindfukced

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindfukced View Post
    hi,

you can run the scans from these websites.

http://www.crucial.com/
    http://www.kingston.com/

I use these to find out what I can put in, usually.

found this from Kingston:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

Looks like 2Gb is the max is will take, DDR333 Module
    Hope that helps.

Mindfukced
    Way cool.

Thanks...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    A point to remember.

If you want the memory to run in dual-channel mode (maximum performance) then you need 2 identical sticks. Since there are only 2 slots that means replacing both sticks.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    A point to remember.

If you want the memory to run in dual-channel mode (maximum performance) then you need 2 identical sticks. Since there are only 2 slots that means replacing both sticks.
    Yup.

Probably go with something middle-of-the-road, quality-wise, 2X512 (unless you have a good reason for me to spend bigger money); I don't think this rig warrants 2GB, even if I end up running Vista at some juncture.

Thanks for the reminder.

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    If you stay with xp 2 x 512 is ok. If you go to vista you'll regret not going 2 x 1gb.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    If you stay with xp 2 x 512 is ok. If you go to vista you'll regret not going 2 x 1gb.
    I think I could load Vista on it to find out if I liked it (no resource-intensive progs), but, as many have said, I think a true "Vista machine" would warrant a scratch-built unit; my laptop is the newer of my two PCs, and it's two years old.

I think XP is good enough to get me down the road 'til I'm satisfied Vista's been sorted properly.

While I don't believe for a minute Gates actually thinks Vista is good for a ten-year-run, I'll give it a pass for now.

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I think a true "Vista machine" would warrant a scratch-built unit; my laptop is the newer of my two PCs, and it's two years old.

I think XP is good enough to get me down the road 'til I'm satisfied Vista's been sorted properly.
    Also, at this early date I'd avoid Vista on a PC you really needed to work on.
    Software support might be dicey and you don't need the aggro.
    Get a standalone machine (with the proper, i.e., total overkill, hardware specs) that won't kill you if it's not fully functional and play with that one till you're confident all is good.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I think a true "Vista machine" would warrant a scratch-built unit; my laptop is the newer of my two PCs, and it's two years old.

Also, at this early date I'd avoid Vista on a PC you really needed to work on.
    Software support might be dicey and you don't need the aggro.
    Get a standalone machine (with the proper, i.e., total overkill, hardware specs) that won't kill you if it's not fully functional and play with that one till you're confident all is good.
    Just so.

-Mark Twain