Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How safe is downloading

Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
    I think Maryjane was just pointing out that viruses are everywhere and downloading from any place isnt "safe". I take this topic to be discussing how safe downloading is judged against the likelyhood of the FBI bashing down your door and hauling you away at 3am.

Well I took the post as asking are downloading from newsgroups "safe" from the likes of the MPAA/RIAA or FBI,etc.

I never thought it was about computer viruses! That is another matter entirely.

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    If people agree newsgroups are the safest to download from (in regards to RIAA/MPAA) what would be 2nd?

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitch525 View Post
    If people agree newsgroups are the safest to download from (in regards to RIAA/MPAA) what would be 2nd?
    I don't know......mabye IRC?

It would probably be something that is harder for the average joe to learn than a p2p program like kazaa.

The more popular a network becomes...the more likely it is as a target for the media mafia.

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    so whats the view from everyone, can newsgroups stay safe?? or will they get like P2P's are now and bit torrent?

what about this new law in the US, will that include newsgroups being spied on?

im currently in the UK, does anyone know if the laws here are changing so authoritis can spy? it just seems no one will have any privacy

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    Poster
    techno-wise I'm pretty ignorant in this area, but I was always under the impression that only up-loaders can be caught.

unless you're saying that people who download large amounts of data will be picked on - if so, what about 40D and the new BBC service? (downloading legitimate material)

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    The Dude
    downloading is perfectly safe.

illegal downloading will never be safe.

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    has anyone ever been prosecuted for just downloading material off of newsgroups?

could they be in the future?

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    downloading is fine its the uploading that gets people in trouble

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    Cpugeni
    Newsgroups in my opinion are the safest method of downloading material, and if you use SSL then its even safer!

As well as being the safest, it is the fatest method too... I would never go back to P2P, ever!

Another newish thing I've seen is utilising rapidshare for distributing material... Thats fast too

10. Newsgroups   -   #50
    Giganews all the way for me he he, SSL encription!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast