Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How safe is downloading

hi, i am new to newsgroups and a little paranoid.

is it really safe to download off these, or can individuals be prosecuted if they download copyright material?

also i have newsdemon, do i need anything to make it more secure or is it ok with nothing?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    Downloading from newsgroups is about as safe as you can possibly be. The only one who even has any possibility of knowing what you are downloading is the NSP, and they don't care what you download, since it is, after all, coming from their own servers.

Binary newsgroup downloading is entirely different from P2P, which gives out your IP address and your shared files (both shared and downloading) to anyone in the network who asks, inclusing the MPAA and RIAA, who run bots to harvest IP addresses and shared files/folders on everyone using the major P2P networks. Keep in mind that when you download a file in eMule or Bittorrent, you are simultaneously uploading the same file to others. The network wouldn't operate otherwise.

Uploading (posting) to newsgroups is another matter entirely. The NSPs will log uploads to make sure if you are a spammer they can go after you. Uploading to a ISP-run news server (the kind that has about 3 days retention) is not the least bit anonymous, since they keep long-term logs, as well as ISPs do not strip out post-ID headers like paid news providers do.

I've never come across a single story about someone who got arrested or sued for posting a copyrighted file, but it's quite possible. If a poster gets reported, usually the worst thing that happens is that the NSP cancels his posting ability. (Then most banned users just create another account!)

But if you are just a beginner, it's best not to try to post files. Leave that to the experienced users.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    thanks for the reply.

so its quite safe, but why do some groups offer 256bit ssl, is this needed and also i've heard of a program caled secure tunnel, is these types of programs needed if just downloading?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Any unencrypted internet traffic can be intercepted by a third party, i.e. your internet provider. Although it is not widely practiced, and is arguably an invasion of privacy.

If you are super paranoid type, the use of SSL can set your worried mind at ease. For the most part it is an unnecessary add on that can bring an Usenet provider a extra source of income (Giganews) or a selling point to get ahead of the competition (Usenetserver).

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    really, i read a few posts that suggested the only thing ssl encryption does is dtop isp throttling speeds. i am with newsdemon and they don't offer this service. so your saying that if i am just downloading my isp could see what i am downloading, is that right??

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    If they were so inclined.
    It's rare. They are more concerned with the amount of bandwidth you use, not what it is used for.

I was making note to the fact that any unencrypted internet traffic can be intercepted.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    dawsonkm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Downloading is safer than uploading through your ISP. Broken is absolutely correct.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    dawsonkm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Downloading is safer than uploading through your ISP. Broken is absolutely correct.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    so if its encrypted ten the isp can't see anything? the problem is my provider doesn't offer this service.

i thought i read somewhere that the isp can't actually see what your downloading as its not through there servers, and that they only can see the amount that is being downloaded, the only people that can see what is being downloaded is the provider i.e. newsdemon, easynews etc but they don't keep logs. is that right or am i wrong??

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Your ISP,
    Timer Warner, Adelpia, Cox, AOL, one of the Bells, whomever can intercept the packets of data that is sent over the connection that they provide to you. If these packets are not encrypted, then yes they could see what you are doing.

They, for the most part don't give a flying fuck unless you are becoming a burden on their network (heavy downloading/uploading).

Now, are they gonna turn you over to the local authorities for downloading copyrighted material? No. It's not their copyright to enforce. But it is conceivable, and I have read reports where the ISP has taken it upon them selfs to issue warnings, listing downloaded material. These are usually an attempt to get you to use less bandwidth, more than anything else. Bandwidth is expensive to create and it is in their best interest if they can get you to use as little as possible.

What you are thinking of is the MPAA/RIAA/ and other copyright holders in general. No, they can not see what you download like on P2P networks. No one has ever been sued for downloading off Usenet, their is no way for these outside parties to get into the loop.

SSL encryption is only necessary if you have had problems with your ISP in the past. SSL is to hide what you are doing from them, for whatever reason. Whither it is because they are using some type of traffic shaping tools, or you just don't trust them to keep their noses out of your business. In all reality, most don't care.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast