Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iceman Buying A New Computer :d

Hi Guys

Im Going To Buy a New Computer But I Whant The Opinion Of YOu Guys Tel Me What YOu Think About It

Its a: Packard Bell
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor
    512 Mb DDR
    160 Gb HD, 7200 rpm
    DVD+RW/DVD-RW multidrive
    16x DVD-player
    ATI Radeon 9200/8x AGP 128 Mb whit TV-out
    10/100 Mbps network card
    Intern 6 in 1 flash card reader
    4x USB 2.0
    Diamond loudmouse subwoofer
    17 inch TFT monitor

And I have A quastion about the 3d card can i comper the ATI Radeon 9200/8x AGP 128 Mb whit TV-out
    Whit a GeForce4 Ti 4200 or a GeForce4 Ti 4600 ???? because me play a lot of games

BTW it cost me about 1.400 EURO

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    http://www.tomshardware.com Does excellent comparisons of video cards. Though they are fairly technical its definitely worth reading as they give u the most informed and impartial advice that I've found. Plus they#ve reviewed pretty much everything
    Looks pretty sweet mate but I'm always sceptical of prebuilt things. Ask for some more details on the motherboard eg:
    Max amount of ram (looking for about 3 gig here)
    No. of PCI slots (looking for 4-5)
    Make sure it can use AGP 8x
    Check the max bus speed (can't remember bus speed of 3000 athlon but its probably 200Mhz so motherboard must support this speed)
    Check speed of ram it should match the bus speed of the 3000 athlon (if they quote something like 3200 or 2700 divide this number by 16 to get the bus speed. therefore if bus speed of athlon is 200 then the ram should be DDR3200)
    Max processor speed (though since it takes a 3000 this probably won't be a problem)

If u r looking for real speed ask about the latency of the ram it'll probably be CL2.5 whereas ideally it should be CL2 , but now we're getting a bit picky
    I think this is accurate others may have to correct me tho

Enjoy

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I didn't know packard bell was still in business . The last packard bell i remeber was a 33 mhz computer.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by ian_l_williams@27 May 2003 - 22:09
    http://www.tomshardware.com Does excellent comparisons of video cards. Though they are fairly technical its definitely worth reading as they give u the most informed and impartial advice that I've found. Plus they#ve reviewed pretty much everything
    Looks pretty sweet mate but I'm always sceptical of prebuilt things. Ask for some more details on the motherboard eg:
    Max amount of ram (looking for about 3 gig here)
    No. of PCI slots (looking for 4-5)
    Make sure it can use AGP 8x
    Check the max bus speed (can't remember bus speed of 3000 athlon but its probably 200Mhz so motherboard must support this speed)
    Check speed of ram it should match the bus speed of the 3000 athlon (if they quote something like 3200 or 2700 divide this number by 16 to get the bus speed. therefore if bus speed of athlon is 200 then the ram should be DDR3200)
    Max processor speed (though since it takes a 3000 this probably won't be a problem)

If u r looking for real speed ask about the latency of the ram it'll probably be CL2.5 whereas ideally it should be CL2 , but now we're getting a bit picky
    I think this is accurate others may have to correct me tho

Enjoy
    Thanks For the Info M8

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    id avoid packard bells

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@28 May 2003 - 07:54
    id avoid packard bells
    Why?????????????????

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    they've never been the most reliable to me.
    I originally had a packard bell, and my brother and sister has one (they wanted it, i told them not to), but when i changed computers I got a compaq instead. Its a lot better than packard bell, but i guess most people might disagree.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Its just a thought, but do u really need/want a dvd writer? I know it would be cool to have one, but the technology is not that mature and so you have to look at how much you reckon u r gonna use it. Also bear in mind that I don't think it'll be too long before they bring in the next standard for optical disks and that one will (theoretically) be much better organised/standardised. Personally I think I'm gonna wait a bit until all the technology gets a bit better & cheaper before I buy one. Maybe someone who's already got one can give u a better answer tho, anyone want to comment on the usefulness of their dvd writer?
    PS what did u decide on the graphics card side of things

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i suggest you only get a dvd writer if you download a lot. I tend to download between 50-100Gb a month, so burning cds just wasnt cost effective or quick, so I bought a 4 speed dvd writer. Theres no mention of how fast the dvd writer is, so it can be from anything to an hour or 15 minutes for one dvd.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    That's a decent computer, I like Radeon and GeForce FX graphics cards myself.. can't afford one though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast