Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Freedom

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

Yes officer, I'm sure. The second from the left.
    How could I ever forget those pupils?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by clocker@28 May 2003 - 02:14
    Requiring a visible face in a drivers license photo is a culturally biased state policy?
    well, lets just stop and think about it for a second -- is there such a culture that fundamentally rejects the taking of photographs? if yes, proceed to question 2: does the state demand photos under certain circumstances? if yes, then you have a culturally-biased state policy.

technology and bureacracy don't evolve in a vacuum, they are shaped by many things, including cultural values. cracker.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Ah, I see your point myfiles.
    Too bad for her that the US isn't an Islamic state, eh?
    And I guess that forcing American women to comply with Islamic dress codes when they visit is somehow totally different?

Of course it is. They couldn't be wrong.
    They are not, after all, culturally biased American crackers.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@28 May 2003 - 02:08
    ah, you whitebread, milquetoast honky crackers. the challenging of culturally-biased state policies is the status quo, whether you like it or not, so sit there and complain. But don't be mistaken, history will paint you the savages.
    This is awesome, I'm going to be rich!

First, I obtain a license and hide my face.

I then "lose" it, lather rinse repeat.

Do you know how many adolescents want a fake ID to enter bars?

Next, I get my veiled passport..... Who wants an anonymous passport?

To be serious, I think anyone who refuses a picture needs to offer a legitimate substitute, like a fingerprint. Unfortunately, this is a cumbersome alternative as computer matching would be necessary.

How about an artist sketch?

Well Myfiles, being critical takes no talent, propose a solution so we may become edukated.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Hobbes it's always a pleasure to see you posting up here.

Now if I didn't have to clean up these fu*king pellets!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Now, I think the Amish/Mennonite/related groups (some of them) also prohibit the taking of personal photographs.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 May 2003 - 03:08
    Now, I think the Amish/Mennonite/related groups (some of them) also prohibit the taking of personal photographs.

And they ride horses and buggies and make candy. They also don't believe in electricity or driving cars.

They DO believe in long, hot, wet kisses that last for hours, but that's a different story.

Sorry, I couldn't wait....

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by hobbes@28 May 2003 - 02:47
    To be serious, I think anyone who refuses a picture needs to offer a legitimate substitute, like a fingerprint. Unfortunately, this is a cumbersome alternative as computer matching would be necessary.

Well Myfiles, being critical takes no talent, propose a solution so we may may be edukated.
    hobbes, i think you answer your own question: artist sketch. plus any combination of other technologies that just might have to be refined/developed/employed to prevent society from unfairly burdening certain members of society.

I realize most of you think I'm a pain in the ass. what you may not know is that is precisely my goal -- there is way too much agreement on this board to be healthy. a good chunk of you aren't nearly as interested in debating, as you are in having your own opinions echoed in the words of others. the world is an incredibly complex place, and you can either embrace the complexity, and wrestle with it, or sit back and criticize. just remember, as my current idol christopher hitchens is fond of saying, you need heat to have light.

or, in the words of Mr. Wolf, "Hang on a second here, guys, before we all start sucking eachothers' dicks..."

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+28 May 2003 - 03:31--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 28 May 2003 - 03:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--hobbes@28 May 2003 - 02:47

Well Myfiles, being critical takes no talent, propose a solution so we may may be edukated.
    hobbes, i think you answer your own question: artist sketch. plus any combination of other technologies that just might have to be refined/developed/employed to prevent society from unfairly burdening certain members of society.

I realize most of you think I&#39;m a pain in the ass. what you may not know is that is precisely my goal -- there is way too much agreement on this board to be healthy. a good chunk of you aren&#39;t nearly as interested in debating, as you are in having your own opinions echoed in the words of others. the world is an incredibly complex place, and you can either embrace the complexity, and wrestle with it, or sit back and criticize. just remember, as my current idol christopher hitchens is fond of saying, you need heat to have light.

or, in the words of Mr. Wolf, "Hang on a second here, guys, before we all start sucking eachothers&#39; dicks..."[/b][/quote]
    Yes, I understand the need to show the other perspective.

But pick your battles, don&#39;t be a quibbler or you will become as trivial as the flag waver who heralds every fart by Dubyah to be a message from God.

Intellectual honesty is all that we care about, not someone who takes a position and makes every square peg fit into his round hole, regardless of how much he has to distort it.

Sometimes we will all agree on something, but don&#39;t disrespect me by thinking I&#39;m some sort of Clocker, J2K4 back slapping drinking buddy.

J2 and I have serious issues when it comes to Rush Limbaugh, but we do respect the integrity of the others position.

The main thing we want from you is this. When you post something, we want to repect the honesty of your position and not get some knee-jerk anti-American response. A post to consider, then respond to, appreciating it&#39;s merits and commenting on it&#39;s deficiencies.

Don&#39;t disrespect ole Hobbes, I am my own man, and my posts reflect this.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Originally posted by hobbes@28 May 2003 - 00:42
    I think all women should have topless photos, for that extra information when an identity is in question.

I also think that all men should have full monty pics on their drivers licences.....legitimately to catch flashers and rapists etc&#33; lol.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast