Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Religious Freedom

Mivaro's Avatar _________
    When i read the word 'assimilate' , the first thing i thought of was the Borgs.
    Maybe integration is a better word?
    'English impaired'

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 May 2003 - 07:42
    It's unfortunate. I had to.

That's just what I was thinking...

@echidna - you seem to have quoted from the book of Exodus there out of the Old Testament, which I thought was the basis for Judaism and Christianity, I may be ignorant here but I thought the Koran was the Islamic holy book?...

Also, "I am a Jealous God".... but isn't Jealousy one of the Deadly Sins? Therefore God is a Sinner, the original sinner in fact, so heaven is actually hell, Satan is Santa, and religion is dead.

Paradox, paradox, does not compute, fatal exception, whizzz, pop, bang!

Religion pisses me off. It's just a self-righteous excuse for gross stupidity, cruelty and awkwardness.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    I can see the point of her not wanting her picture takin and I dont beleive she should have to I think instead of the state saying she cant maybe they should be looking at allternative ways of identification such as fingerprints or something of that sort. She cant be the only one in Florida who believs they shouldnt have to have there picture takin and in this case is going to get them all going to court to fight it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by barbarossa@28 May 2003 - 10:08
    Also, "I am a Jealous God".... but isn't Jealousy one of the Deadly Sins? Therefore God is a Sinner, the original sinner in fact, so heaven is actually hell, Satan is Santa, and religion is dead.
    Nope. The Seven Deadly Sins are:

Greed
    Sloth
    Gluttony
    Pride
    Wrath
    Envy
    Lust

Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by barbarossa@28 May 2003 - 19:08
    @echidna - you seem to have quoted from the book of Exodus there out of the Old Testament, which I thought was the basis for Judaism and Christianity, I may be ignorant here but I thought the Koran was the Islamic holy book?...

christianity judaism and islam all lay claim to being of the lineage of abraham [BTW :: abraham came from Ur, which is just a few hours south-east of Baghdad]
    mohamed is the penultimate prophet interpreting god for islam while christ is just another prophet to islam, while christians see christ as the son of god and judaism generally doesn't see either of these two as revealing divinity to them.
    the qur'an is the word of god written by mohamed [BTW :: the qur'an has a chapter named after mary the mother of christ]

[also BTW :: the qur'an is said to be fundamentally different to translations of the qur'an and that the qur'an can only be properly understood in it's original arabic, as opposed to christianity which since the reformation has translated the bible extensively, and believes (seemingly) that all bibles are the word of god]

all three of these feuding ideologies are essentially theological cousins, aren't family fights always the worst and civil war the same?

oh yeah god can sin all it wants, stupid, it's god [see. all the plagues set on egypt, the dead from the noah flood, genocide at Sodom and Gomorrah, turning lots wife to a pillar of salt and other un-nice things]

Religion pisses me off.        It's just a self-righteous excuse for gross stupidity, cruelty and awkwardness.
    it sure isn't the only excuse for these things

@MagicNator :: do you know what the difference is between jealousy and envy? [they're a bit mushy in my messy post-post-modern vocab and seem almost synonymous with each other]
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Originally posted by echidna@28 May 2003 - 12:42

[also BTW :: the qur'an is said to be fundamentally different to translations of the qur'an and that the qur'an can only be properly understood in it's original arabic, as opposed to christianity which since the reformation has translated the bible extensively, and believes (seemingly) that all bibles are the word of god]

[
    I was speaking with a co-worker about the many translations of the bible and how each translation reflects the interpretation of the translator. It is akin to the game "post office", where you give a person a sentence and have him repeat it to the person next to him. 30 people later, the last person stands up and states the sentence. Everyone laughs, as it bears no resemblance to the original.

He looked at me, clipped his finger nails, and said, "Well, I'm sure God made sure this didn't happen".

Wow, welcome to world of faith. Damn, smart guy too, it just blows my mind.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by echidna@28 May 2003 - 06:42
    abraham came from Ur, which is just a few hours south-east of Baghdad]
    I'd bet in Abraham's day it was more than "just a few hours south-east of Baghdad".

So, the meanings of words can no longer be regarded as "fixed"?

Are previously accepted meanings to be obsoleted, or held in some sort of linguistic limbo?

Echidna-I can, believe me, go along with all the silliness the politically correct crowd can dole out, but I don't have to buy in; to do so is to vindicate and/or legitimize the essential idiocy of their endeavor, which is to limit speech, not to define it.

Recently, some bureaucrat (I don't remember the exact circumstances; they don't bear, here) was excoriated and fired for a correct usage of the word "NIGGARDLY" while describing what he thought was merely in instance of budgetary stinginess; he was pilloried by those who preferred to hear only the first six letters of the word (and, I suppose, were prepared to impeach him on the basis of having "orally mis-spelled" the distasteful word, "nigger", also).

I propose, rather than suffering and allowing this heretofore unchecked stupidity to continue, that instead of universal health care, we invest in dictionaries and possibly hearing aids for the P.C. crowd.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by hobbes@28 May 2003 - 08:29
    He looked at me, clipped his finger nails, and said, "Well, I'm sure God made sure this didn't happen".

Wow, welcome to world of faith. Damn, smart guy too, it just blows my mind.
    Might he have been humoring you, Hobbes?

BTW-You, me, and Clocker: drinks in the pub at six sharp. Be prepared to have your back slapped.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+29 May 2003 - 00:22--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 29 May 2003 - 00:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--echidna@28 May 2003 - 06:42
    abraham came from Ur, which is just a few hours south-east of Baghdad]
    I&#39;d bet in Abraham&#39;s day it was more than "just a few hours south-east of Baghdad".

So, the meanings of words can no longer be regarded as "fixed"?

Are previously accepted meanings to be obsoleted, or held in some sort of linguistic limbo?

Echidna-I can, believe me, go along with all the silliness the politically correct crowd can dole out, but I don&#39;t have to buy in; to do so is to vindicate and/or legitimize the essential idiocy of their endeavor, which is to limit speech, not to define it.

Recently, some bureaucrat (I don&#39;t remember the exact circumstances; they don&#39;t bear, here) was excoriated and fired for a correct usage of the word "NIGGARDLY" while describing what he thought was merely in instance of budgetary stinginess; he was pilloried by those who preferred to hear only the first six letters of the word (and, I suppose, were prepared to impeach him on the basis of having "orally mis-spelled" the distasteful word, "nigger", also).

I propose, rather than suffering and allowing this heretofore unchecked stupidity to continue, that instead of universal health care, we invest in dictionaries and possibly hearing aids for the P.C. crowd. [/b][/quote]
    sounds to me like the bureaucrat got what they deserved, someone in public office should be aware of and use their words carefully and he should have had, and used, a thesaurus

words change their meaning in terms of context, historical time and even through modification by a preposition
    this isn&#39;t left wing silliness it&#39;s the confusing nature of english
    it gets worse in speech, eg.
    which two bored witches blessed by sense would buy for four cents a ticket to board a plane to a plain that was too plain?
    [and at least the spelling does change here sometimes]

[i know that example sux but to think that language gets &#39;set&#39; by dictionaries or is somehow fixed is a joke :: you can&#39;t tell me that apparent meaning of the phrase &#39;your site&#39; hasn&#39;t changed radically in its meaning in the last thirty years]

and i fail to see what limitation of speech is caused by the nuance of english it&#39;s just a lot more difficult to ensure congruent comprehension. but provides for much humour and richness through metaphor and subtext

which is really what bit the bureaucrat&#39;s ass

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    sounds to me like the bureaucrat got what they deserved, someone in public office should be aware of and use their words carefully and he should have had, and used, a thesaurus
    His usage was perfectly correct and appropriate in the context.

which is really what bit the bureaucrat&#39;s ass
    No, what bit him was people who have never used/had a thesauraus.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast