Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP Throttling

hi i think my isp throttles ports, 119 i can rarely use. but 443 i can but it seems to vary day to day on times of throttling yesterday afternoon i could download at full speed but same time today i haven't been able to get more than 35kb/s normaly get 245 kb/s

any help? is there a way round this, looking at switching to sky broadband, do they throttle ports?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I've got 2Mbps cable broadband with NTL which usually gives DL speed of 225kBps+ but sometimes it slows down to around 35kBps. I found out from talking to some friends of mine who have NTL broadband in the same area as me that their connections also slow at the same time as mine so I figure tht NTL is working on the exchange or maybe lots of people are on the internet. But this only happens occasionally with me so I can live with it.

I don't know much about your setup so its hard to tell wots wrong but its the first I've heard of an ISP throttling ports. I would check for problems in other areas first. For example if ur using a router is it properly setup to forward connections? and is it fully secure? ur neighbours might all be getting free wireless internet at ur expense. I use uTorrent for downloading and it contains full instructions to setup your router for port forwarding. If ur not already using it I would recommend it and follow the setup steps exactly. If connected properly a green tick appears at the bottom of the uTorrent window. uTorrent also has an option in prefences where you can encrypt all ur connections so that ISP's can't detect ur communications as coming form BTorrent clients and thus throttle your speeds.<-Thou i don't encryt mine.

If still you suffer from slow DL speeds then it could be because the local broadband exchange is under heavy load. Complain to ur ISP about this but do bear in mind there could be certain times when everybody connects to the internet with me its a Sunday evening when everybody comes back to University and check their emails/look at Bebo.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    thanks for the reply but my internet is fully secure and also the rest of the inter e.g web runs at full speed all the time, its just the newsgroups that slow right down.

any ideas?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    towerblocks's Avatar MW2 ADDiCT
    Which isp you with?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    i am with tiscali at the mo but should hopefully be switching to sky (do sky do throttling)?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I saw a list once upon a time that stated whether or not an ISP throttled. I thought it was at dslreports.com but I can't seem to find it. I've been doing the google thing so if I come across it I'll be sure to post it.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    towerblocks's Avatar MW2 ADDiCT
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    i am with tiscali at the mo but should hopefully be switching to sky (do sky do throttling)?
    By looking on thinkbroadband forum, It seem's tiscali are not well liked, Even though tiscali say they don't port block or throttle speeds it seem's alot of people who use p2p bittorrent etc.. seem to get very slow speeds, Has far has i know sky don't throttle speeds, But for how long, Who knows.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    yeah tiscali seems worse and worse each day only downloading at 5 kb/s today, could be because its the weekend i suppose?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I agree, I've heard nothing but bad things about tiscali, they definately throttle bittorrent downloads. Try encrypting utorrent if that doesn't work switch providers. But remember with broadband like most things you get what you pay for.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    most isp are now throttling you at peak times i am with aol and mon to friday between 6pm and 10.30pm i get 70>120 kbpsec but after 10.30pm i get between 550>600kbpsec on weekends its all over place untill 10.30pm then i get my normal speeds it will be like this until we all have 21st century networking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast