Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Not for the conservative Christian..

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345 View Post
    I prefer to stand on the fence on issues, and throw my opinions both sides, desperately hoping one i hear will sway me one way or another.
    I guess the fence amounts to a "third" possible position, but (it seems to me) to defend it as a position defies all conventional advocacy, and demands (too often) argument for it's own sake.

I have yet to witness anyone who willfully straddles a fence climb down gracefully or be coerced from it by sheer force of logical debate or reasoned discourse.

After all, we've been doing this for going on five years, and I don't recall any incidents of stunned enlightenment in that entire time.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I prefer to stand on the fence on issues, and throw my opinions both sides, desperately hoping one i hear will sway me one way or another.
    I guess the fence amounts to a "third" possible position, but (it seems to me) to defend it as a position defies all conventional advocacy, and demands (too often) argument for it's own sake.

I have yet to witness anyone who willfully straddles a fence climb down gracefully or be coerced from it by sheer force of logical debate or reasoned discourse.

After all, we've been doing this for going on five years, and I don't recall any incidents of stunned enlightenment in that entire time.
    I think it fair to say that most traffic I have observed is to the fence rather than from the fence. So much so that it is high time decent seats were fitted.

Jimbo - I withdraw my comment it was stuff about dodgy curtain rails that had me fooled.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    quote]I am a bit like that myself. The trouble with sitting on the fence, however, is that it is only the hot air that rises toward you.

I honestly cant understand people who have not a mind of their own. You can hear them stating; 'My Dad voted Right/Left all his life and so will I'. ' Born a 'religion' always a 'religion''.

P.S. in my course of testing out all the religions I have not got past the one with numerous Vestal Virgins on hand.[/quote]

I feel there are not enough Vestal Virgins at present, and more should be made available.

Give me a religion that offers me a good life after and before i die, without any other sacrafice than behaving myself on most occassions, i'd consider. With free virgins.

All church needs to do is change service time to a non-hangover time and introduce tequila/bloody mary's as the blood of Christ, or cranberry juice for the fattys and infested. and christianity will swell. Also, programs such as Father Ted help advertise also.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

I'm not sure that verbal arguments could change many minds, people tend to convert one way or the other because of some personal event. This is why religion is instilled in our minds as children, before we are able to make informed choices ourselves.

Pretty much everyone that comes here has already made the choice which side to sit on, you having yet to see anyone that claims to sit on the fence fall off onto one or the other side could be for numerous reasons.
    examples:-

1. Nobody has come up with a argument that makes sense to them. You may think your view is logical, reasoned or persuasive, however that doesn't mean others do.

2. With the "I can't decide because it can't be proven one way or the other" stance then they are only sitting on the fence with making a yes or no choice. They are not sitting on the fence as to if it can be proven one way or the other, they have chosen it can't.

I used to believe in god (after all as children we were taught he exists) then I doubted his existence, then didn't care, then I decided there is no god.
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-21-2007 at 03:25 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It's a pity you cant have an Independent Political Party. We can have an independent religion though. I suppose some of us will just have to remain Mugwumpers.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    It's a pity you cant have an Independent Political Party. We can have an independent religion though. I suppose some of us will just have to remain Mugwumpers.

Speak for yourself. I'm claiming Jedi citizenship.

Britain has "independent" parties, noticably UKIP (UK Indep. Party). They are useless.

The rest generally focus on foreigners, and ways of killing and/or removing them from the country. And they are becoming more popular.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47

Britain has "independent" parties, noticably UKIP (UK Indep. Party). They are useless.

The rest generally focus on foreigners, and ways of killing and/or removing them from the country. And they are becoming more popular.
    You can't be independent if you belong to a party. A bit like you cant have an Anarchist party as it defeats the purpose.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

You can't be independent if you belong to a party. A bit like you cant have an Anarchist party as it defeats the purpose.
    Although the Monster Raving Loony Party makes a fair stab at it. I might consider voting for them if they had a candidate in my area in lieu I think I might go SNP as New Labour has scunnered me.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

Although the Monster Raving Loony Party makes a fair stab at it. I might consider voting for them if they had a candidate in my area in lieu I think I might go SNP as New Labour has scunnered me.
    Yes I think election night will be Salmond Echanted Evening.
    Sorry about that. I have my coat. I will go shopping.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Jack McConnell was on the Talksport Football Phone-in last night. The more I see and hear him the more I like him. He strikes me as a guy I could go for a few beers with, and enjoy it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast