Thread: Intel Introduces Solid State Drive Product Line

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Intel announced its entry into solid state drives with the Intel Z-U130 Value Solid-State Drive. Based on NAND flash memory with industry standard USB interfaces, the Intel Z-U130 Value Solid State Drive offers cost-effective, high-performance storage for a wide variety of computing and embedded platforms. With advantages over hard disk drive (HDD) or removable universal serial bus (USB) storage devices, Intel's Solid State Drives deliver faster boot times, embedded code storage, rapid data access and low-power storage alternatives for value PCs, routers, servers, gaming and industrial applications.

The Intel Z-U130 Value Solid State Drive is the company's first solution in the Intel Value Solid State Drive family that will offer different industry standard interfaces and densities. The product comes in 1 Gigabyte (GB), 2GB, 4GB and 8GB densities. With fast reads of 28 megabytes (MB) per second and write speeds of 20 MB per second, this higher performing solid state drive is a faster storage alternative that speeds through common PC or embedded application operations such as locating boot code, operating systems and commonly accessed libraries.

Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_06502_I...duct_Line.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I’m still not sure what this is, solid state drive is a new term to me!

Is this supposed to be the beginning of hard drives without the spinning disks? Or is this just a glorified flash drive, and if so what are the benefits of it?

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    That doesn't seem that fast to me. My hard drive rights around 20MB/s maybe more. I cant remember. Isn't that a lil slow for solid state?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    With Intel being the distributor of such low volume drives, how are they planning to implement a viable use for them? Even the largest (8GB) of them is uselessly small.

Unless they are planning to somehow phase out BIOS?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I assumed it was for cameras and the like , a flash drive so to speak . Solid state is just that no moving parts I believe .