Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reformatting My Hard Drive

I just tried what cornerPocket told me, and this did not work either I got this message: Format not supported on drive c:. Format terminated. I will now try what somebody1234 has suggeted, and hopefully this will work. The reason I posted this is I was wondering if anyone could tell me why i got this message and if there is anything I can do about it. :beerchug:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@28 May 2003 - 15:00
    You can use the Windows98 boot disk (OEM version)

Create and bootup with it >
    Choose to go to the command prompt with CDrom support. When the A> prompt comes up, type format c:
    This will wipe out the C: drive
    @CornerPocket, With a Windows 98SE CDROM (OEM version). No diskette is needed to format your harddrive.
    That CD is bootable too. It also has formatting/partitioning tools. (No more need for fdisk or format c: at the command prompt.)

Note: This information is not for p_funk for his situation as this is FAT32 format for windows 98.
    @Somebody1234,
    Guess I should have been more explanatory but you covered it once again

@ p_funk,
    let us know how things turn out.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I did what somebody1234 suggested and it seemed to work just fine it deleted everything on my hard drive and I installed WinXP Pro on my computer. It did not take that long at all so I hope I did it right. Thanks for all the help. :beerchug:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    hi, you said it didnt take long, that would point to just a restore 20mins, not a low leve format, just wondering how long did it take you ?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I am not real sure exactly how long it took but no more than 5 - 10 min, and then it took about 30 - 40 min. to install WinXP. :beerchug:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Way to go, p_funk. B)

I'm glad I could help you.

Were you able to find the drivers for all your devices or were they all built in to Windows?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    They were all built into windows. Thanks once again to everybody for the help. :beerchug:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12