Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reformatting My Hard Drive

I was trying to reformat my hard drive last night and when I got to the command prompt and typr in format C: and told it the name of the volume, it gave this message: Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (y/n). I have tried answering with yes and no both here and it does nothing but come back to the command prompt. Does anyone know what this means, and if so can you tell me what to do about it? I have tried killing processes before doing the format and it did not work, I tried booting on safe mode doing it and it did not work either. It keep giving me this same message. Thank you for any help. :beerchug:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Sounds as though you are utilizing the OS while initiating a format, that would most likely be why you are getting that message. Use a bootdisk to bootup and then run the format utility.

Good site here with step x step instructions on formatting drive.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the help, this is the first time I have tried this. I can be stupid sometimes, I should have known this, anyways thanks for the help. :beerchug:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Np prob, have fun and good luck with the format. B)
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I have another question real quick if you do not mind. I am using WinXP pro right now and I am going to reinstall it again after I reformat, is there a smaller WinXP boot disk because the one I got from bootdisk.com is like 6 disks long, or is this the only one there is. :beerchug:

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You can use the Windows98 boot disk (OEM version)

Create and bootup with it >
    Choose to go to the command prompt with CDrom support. When the A> prompt comes up, type format c:
    This will wipe out the C: drive.

You can use the XP cd to reinstall XP, before doing so, go into Bios (hit 'Delete' key) while booting up and somewhere under the Advanced section, set cdrom as your 1st boot up device, reboot (with xp cd) and follow steps...................
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    You don't need to have any boot diskettes to format you harddisk.

You can use the Windows XP CD itself. Just boot the CD.

You may need to set your BIOS to boot the CD before the harddisk. Do that then...

Insert the CD and startup your PC and watch for a message that says 'Press any key to boot CDROM'. Do it.

The setup program will launch. There is a built in formatting/partitioning tool right there before you install windows. Just format you harddisk right there. The Windows installation will automaticaly start as soon as the format is complete.

Just a note: If you intend to have only XP on your system, Use NTFS formatting. (That is there too in that tool.)
    If you are wanting to access your drive with a dual boot setup with Win9x then format FAT32.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks for your help guys, I will try one and if for some reason it does not work I will try the other. :beerchug:

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You don't need to have any boot diskettes to format you harddisk.
    , that all depends on the OS you use. In this case it is correct not needed for XP itself.

You can use the Windows XP CD itself. Just boot the CD.

You may need to set your BIOS to boot the CD before the harddisk.
    Basically what I said:
    You can use the XP cd to reinstall XP, before doing so, go into Bios (hit 'Delete' key) while booting up and somewhere under the Advanced section, set cdrom as your 1st boot up device, reboot (with xp cd) and follow steps...................

Well the more, the merrier . Good job on the inbetween steps Somebody1234
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    You can use the Windows98 boot disk (OEM version)

Create and bootup with it >
    Choose to go to the command prompt with CDrom support. When the A> prompt comes up, type format c:
    This will wipe out the C: drive
    @CornerPocket, With a Windows 98SE CDROM (OEM version). No diskette is needed to format your harddrive.
    That CD is bootable too. It also has formatting/partitioning tools. (No more need for fdisk or format c: at the command prompt.)

Note: This information is not for p_funk for his situation as this is FAT32 format for windows 98.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast