Thread: Cpu Fan Speed Wrong

I just picked up a 60mm, 6200rpm (40cfm) fan for my 1800+ the other day. Previous fan was running at 4500rpm (unknown cfm). However, after installing it, I saw that the BIOS was showing the fan running at only 5300rpms, and as such, isn't doing anything to help my cpu temp. AIDA32 and Vcool also report the same speed. I don't think it's the fan that's damaged, because it looks just fine. Could the motherboard be throttling back the fan speed of the fan in some way, and if so, how could I change that? The fan came with a 4 pin for power, and a 3 pin for rpm monitoring.

System is a MSI 6380 v.2 mobo, 512ddr.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    What kind of adapter? What does it look like? By hard drive power harness, do you mean power from the power supply itself? I'm using the 4 pin for power right now, and the 3 pin for monitoring.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-03.html

That's the fan in question.

I'm doing exactly what it says there. 4-pin for power, 3-pin for monitoring. How would the adapter help if I'm already drawing power from the power supply?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    it wouldnt, i think balamm thought u were drawin the power from the motherboard, as most cpu fans do. and that was what the adapter was for, but if it is plugged into the power suplly then its ok then.

but it maybe just your mobo readin the speed wrong

edit: or maybe just is running at that speed.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I'm using AIDA32

http://www.aida32.hu/

Thanks for all the help.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Check the divider specs on the mobo, there are no real standards for the fans output clock

oh, try this out, it's pretty cool and free to boot.

motherboard monitor