Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be the best way to revise for a history exam??

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    I have an exam on Sunday.. and so far have been reading my notebook over.. and then sort of saying the stuff I wrote down to myself over and over in my head until I get it right.. Is this the best way to revise for a history exam, apart from writing it all again..?

Are there any tricks/tips that would help me?

Thanks

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    You should ask in the lounge where all the kids are.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    You should ask in the lounge where all the kids are.
    A childish response, that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    I have an exam on Sunday.. and so far have been reading my notebook over.. and then sort of saying the stuff I wrote down to myself over and over in my head until I get it right.. Is this the best way to revise for a history exam, apart from writing it all again..?

Thanks

Rafi

The first thing you need is a clear time line in your head - sort of like a washing line with all the key events pegged along it in the right order. If you can peg out the events they act as a memory jog for the details in your notebook. Then you can colour in the picture with comment and arguments for and against a particular interpretation or conflicting views on the subject matter. At least that is how I always did it and it served me well.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post

Thanks

Rafi

The first thing you need is a clear time line in your head - sort of like a washing line with all the key events pegged along it in the right order. If you can peg out the events they act as a memory jog for the details in your notebook. Then you can colour in the picture with comment and arguments for and against a particular interpretation or conflicting views on the subject matter. At least that is how I always did it and it served me well.
    What Les said.

It will flow from point to point like the story that it is.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    @Ava: I thought this was a serious discussion forum this one.

@Biggles: I'll try doing that.. the way I've been going so far is reading, then repeating in my head.. which works for a short period of time (a week or so), then I forget bits and bobs out of it.. so I guess for tomorrow it's fine, but for the next exam I'll try your way, I'm sure it will work, especially whn it's about WW2 and co..

@J2K4: You're a mod now.. seems odd looking at you and seeing your blue start now Anyhoot, will try Biggles' idea Thanks

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    good advice, up there ^^^^ my method was..do nothing until 72 hours before the exams, then start to prop my mind with all what I considered the most important stuff.. with generous pauses for some pizza and wine.. If reference books are allowed, then tab the important pages for easy access... Good luck, I will cross my fingers for you

Oh and regarding the exam itself...go through the questions, if you come to one you get stuck at, jump it, go to the next try that one and so on, make sure you come back to the difficult ones before you hand in your papers, as they often carry the most points Then all things being equal... it's back down to the pub, as usual ...
    Last edited by thewizeard; 03-17-2007 at 09:21 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    study at the last minute always works for me

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    good advice, up there ^^^^ my method was..do nothing until 72 hours before the exams, then start to prop my mind with all what I considered the most important stuff.. with generous pauses for some pizza and wine.. If reference books are allowed, then tab the important pages for easy access... Good luck, I will cross my fingers for you

Oh and regarding the exam itself...go through the questions, if you come to one you get stuck at, jump it, go to the next try that one and so on, make sure you come back to the difficult ones before you hand in your papers, as they often carry the most points Then all things being equal... it's back down to the pub, as usual ...
    you really are something The exam went absolutely fine.. seems your fingers did the work
    I used the method I posted on the first post.. seemed to work like a charm.. Will think of using Biggles' method next time, just to see which is more useful.

Thanks all

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    m_atalay's Avatar Death GOd BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    We don't need no education
    We don't need no thought control
    No dark sarcasm in the classroom
    Teachers, leave them kids alone
    Hey, Teachers, leave those kids alone

Best way is the way u know::::::::......evrytm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast