Thread: Comcast Warning

Poster
    I just recieved an e-mail from Comcast saying that i borke a copywright law, and i downloaded Back To Future 2.
    Anyone know anything bout this? Heres the e-mail...

* * * IMMEDIATE ACTION and REPLY REQUIRED * * *

Please read this entire message, review the required action(s) below, and send a prompt reply message to acknowledge receipt of this email.

Comcast has been made aware that you have violated the Comcast Service Agreement and/or Acceptable Usage Policy. These policies can be found at http://help.broadband.att.com/security. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a permanent termination of your service. The account holder is solely responsible for any and all activities performed from the Comcast service. Please read the following information carefully to ensure that you understand the violation, our policies, and what you need to do to respond to this warning.

Type of violation: Distribution of Copyrighted Material

Related Policy: Acceptable Usage Policy: Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using Comcast Equipment (as defined in the
    Subscriber Agreement) or the Service to

i. undertake or accomplish any unlawful purpose. This includes, but is not limited to, posting, storing, transmitting or disseminating information, data or material which is libelous, obscene, unlawful, threatening, defamatory, or which infringes the intellectual property rights of any person or entity, or which in any way constitutes or encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, federal or international law, order or regulation;

v. upload, post, publish, transmit, reproduce, create derivative works of, or distribute in any way information, software or other material obtained through the Service or otherwise which is protected by copyright or other proprietary right, without obtaining permission of the owner;

xiii. run programs or servers from the Premises which provide network content or any other services to others. Examples of prohibited
    programs include, but are not limited to, mail, ftp, http, game, newsgroup, proxy, IRC servers and multi-user interactive forums;

Explanation: Comcast has received notification of alleged copyright infringement originating from the Comcast account registered to you.

Action Required: We will require your timely assistance in blocking accessibility to the alleged infringed materials and then notifying us when the materials are no longer publicly available. By federal guidelines stated within the DMCA, this matter needs to be resolved quickly. We will therefore require your immediate investigation into this notification.

**NOTE**
    Additionally, please be advised that should Comcast receive further copyright infringement complaints related to your Comcast Internet account, Comcast may terminate the account in accordance with the Comcast Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP).

Information regarding the security of your Comcast connection can be found on our web page:
    http://help.broadband.att.com/security. This web page also provides links to our Subscriber Agreement and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), please review these policies should you have any questions or concerns.

Related Logs / Evidence:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

Re: Unauthorized Use of Universal Motion Pictures
    Notice ID: 400894
    21 May 2003 02:00:07 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

Universal City Studios Productions LLLP and its affiliated companies (collectively, "Universal") are the exclusive owners of copyrights in many motion pictures, including the motion pictures listed below.

It has come to our attention that AT&T WorldNet Services is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of Universal?s motion picture(s) listed below is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by <<ISP Name>> or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from AT&T WorldNet Services.

This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement under Section 106 of the U.S.
    Copyright Act . Depending upon the type of service AT&T WorldNet Services is providing to this IP address, it may have legal and/or equitable liability if it does not expeditiously remove or disable access to the motion picture(s) listed below, or if it fails to implement a policy that provides for termination of subscribers who are repeat infringers (see, 17 U.S.C. &#39;512).

Despite the above, Universal believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The undersigned has a good faith belief that use of the motion pictures in the manner described herein is not authorized by Universal, its agent or the law. The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Universal with respect to
    this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or of Universal?s positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable,all of which are specifically reserved.

Very truly yours,

Aaron Markham
    Manager of Internet Anti-Piracy,
    Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations
    VIVENDI UNIVERSAL ENTERTAINMENT.
    100 Universal City Plaza
    Universal City, CA 91608
    tel. (818) 777-3111
    fax (818) 866-6339
    [email protected]

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com
    Notice ID: 400894

Title: Back to the Future II
    Infringement Source: FastTrack
    Initial Infringement Timestamp: 18 May 2003 1025 GMT
    Recent Infringment Timestamp: 18 May 2003 1025 GMT
    Infringer Username:
    Infringing Filename: Back To The Future II (DivX).avi
    Infringing Filesize: 715194372
    Infringers IP Address:
    Infringers DNS Name:
    N/A
    Infringing URL:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 8.0

iQA/AwUBPsrltUAGe/JElwagEQKz9ACg1lRa5vxIg4/0jUKNiRGAnb5q3ScAoNl3
    BWuD8exoqZ2pM9JG6NjSxVM3
    =w/RL
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BANNED
    sounds like BS

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Aaron Markham fella is real, seems he a pain in the a**. He gets a mouth full from a few folks:

Complaint #1

Complaint #2

Another related type letter on this site

Hey Markham
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Wow&#33;
    That Hinckley guy is pissed&#33;

And he appears competent to do something about it...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    tarzan's Avatar lore keeper
    so what&#39;s the best defence against this type of thing happening to the average user?
    I run a firewall
    but is that enough?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by tarzan@29 May 2003 - 14:13
    so what&#39;s the best defence against this type of thing happening to the average user?
    I run a firewall
    but is that enough?
    Run PeerGuardian along side the firewall, lots of talks about it on the forum.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    DLed it,see the reason i needed it
    gracias

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    looks like obsession with &#036;&#036;&#036; to me, there is no such thing as free anymore. they want you to pay for everything, even dirts on the ground&#33;&#33;&#33;
    never give in, give them the finger and do what pleases you. they just want that pocket change out of your empty pocket. Most of these ancient movie are worthless IMO, who really give a shit about it. Heh, my god they would bleed us all to death if they have to, in order to keep them stinking rich like they wanna be. They tick me off the most because while we can only afford low quality product, they alway get the best plus more &#036;&#036;&#036; then what they know what to do with&#33;&#33;&#33; To hell with these evil corporation.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    looks like obsession with &#036;&#036;&#036; to me, there is no such thing as free anymore. they want you to pay for everything, even dirts on the ground&#33;&#33;&#33;
    never give in, give them the finger and do what pleases you. they just want that pocket change out of your empty pocket. Most of these ancient movie are worthless IMO, who really give a shit about it. Heh, my god they would bleed us all to death if they have to, in order to keep them stinking rich like they wanna be. They tick me off the most because while we can only afford low quality product, they alway get the best plus more &#036;&#036;&#036; then what they know what to do with&#33;&#33;&#33; To hell with these evil corporation.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    i can agree with that