Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Comp is dead!

  1. #1
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    My modstream 450 watt went out on me a couple days ago and took the hard drive with it. Now I can't get an RMA from Seagate/hp (keeps saying "This product cannot be processed for a return. Please contact the original place of purchase.") or get it replaced by the place I bought the original comp at because of the after market power supply. So now it looks like I need to get a new HD and a motherboard(might as well). Dealing with these people and after market products is just hell.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Just curious... What happened for the modstream to "go out"?

    Power surge/spike?

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Just curious... What happened for the modstream to "go out"?

    Power surge/spike?
    I got a new SATA cable for my psu from OCZ, plugged it in and fired my comp as usual and it shorted out. It was probbly the cable that did it but I honestly have no idea.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    So why RMA the Seagate and the mobo?

    They weren't faulty.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    I got a new SATA cable for my psu from OCZ, plugged it in and fired my comp as usual and it shorted out. It was probbly the cable that did it but I honestly have no idea.
    A SATA data cable shorted out your PC?
    Not even sure if that's possible....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    I got a new SATA cable for my psu from OCZ, plugged it in and fired my comp as usual and it shorted out. It was probbly the cable that did it but I honestly have no idea.
    A SATA data cable shorted out your PC?
    Not even sure if that's possible....
    Don't like to be picky, but how long have you been fitting SATA data cables to PSUs?
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    future shop, dell and stuff try to minimize to pc overall cost by choosing bad cases and power supply,, nobody ask about it anyway. but when stuff like that happen, that sad..

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Melchior00 View Post
    future shop, dell and stuff try to minimize to pc overall cost by choosing bad cases and power supply,, nobody ask about it anyway. but when stuff like that happen, that sad..
    He did say that he has a "modstream 450 watt" installed.

    Please read the whole thread before you reply.

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    A SATA data cable shorted out your PC?
    Not even sure if that's possible....
    Dude not the SATA data cable.... the modular PSU lead that connects to the hard drive. I got a new one from OCZ, took the old one out and hooked up the new one then fired up my comp and there she went. For the record, the hard drive was dead after that, everything else was fine.
    Last edited by S!X; 03-23-2007 at 03:09 AM.

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Don't like to be picky, but how long have you been fitting SATA data cables to PSUs?
    Oh, go ahead and be picky...that was a boneheaded post on my part and deserves all the derision you can muster.

    I'll just go to the "time out" corner now and reflect on my ignorance.

    See you in a week....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •