Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is My Computer Screwed?

Poster
    ok when I first got my PC my average CPU usage was about 3% thats with no programs running now its always high like 66% with no programs running I recently had a virus and had to re-format I tryed it as soon as I restored my pc to what it was like when I got it and it was still around 60% anyone know why or how I can fix it?
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Erm,

nobody answers because nobody really understands your question i think?
    Please be a bit more specific okay?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    k sorry.

When I first brought my pc this time last year round-about I remeber pressing ctrl-alt-del (Windows XP Home) and looked at the CPU Usage with no programs running it was like 3%
    now A year on its like 60% with no programs running and its all over the place jumping from 40-100% anyone know what is wrong with it I mean I got alot of memory 512meg.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    what OS r u running? R u connected to the internet permanently. Any hardware/OS changes? If u r running xp use task manager to see which processes all your processor cycles are going to. There are some websites out there which tell u the unnecessary processes that some OS's run, someone posted one of these websites a while back on the forum. Do a search of the forum and u might find something

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    hey man.
    Windows XP Home
    I am always connected to the net but before when I wasnt I still had probs.
    No hardware or OS changes
    All the programs I run are the same as when I used to get 3%.

Is it possable for RAM to be damaged and become un-usable j/w

Thanks for your help.
    Darren

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    have you considered.....defragging?
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Could be the fan or heat. Make sure the cpu is cooled faster enough.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by AcID ZeR0@29 May 2003 - 13:23
    k sorry.

When I first brought my pc this time last year round-about I remeber pressing ctrl-alt-del (Windows XP Home) and looked at the CPU Usage with no programs running it was like 3%
    now A year on its like 60% with no programs running and its all over the place jumping from 40-100% anyone know what is wrong with it I mean I got alot of memory 512meg.
    This could be caused due to a software/hardware incompability issue. Did you install any old software/hardware on your computer? Also, when you reforematted, did you make sure you hit "reforemat" and not just the "restore my computer" button because you might not have reforematted...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    1. could be a spyware problem.
    2. try memturbo II, may need to free up ram
    3. if you are using an onboard modem, buy a pci one
    4. boot into safe mode and see if the problem occurs then
    5. go to pcpitstop and have them test your system for you

i had this problem when i switched to broadband. when i removed the spyware the company used, problem stopped, but then so did my connection.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You'll probably find a thorough defrag, spyware search (with Spybot or prefferable Ad-aware 6), full error checking status will improve it a tad.

Also if you have a dial-up modem....get an external as opposed to internal, if you have a cable modem, ensure it is connecting via Enet & not USB as with all USB devices they put a major strain on the cpu.

Finally, go into MSCONFIG (START>RUN: msconfig) then enter the STARTUP tab and remove items which are not required (good site to check what is or isn't needed is www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm )

Once all this is done...if it is still badly lagging, format again but when it is clean have it power surged by a good store. What this involves is a small wattage of electricity is passed through your motherboard and main CPU and it destroys any residual data that can cause faulty reinstalls (but whatever you do make sure it is a good store that does and it and DO NOT try to jerry-rig a surge yourself!&#33

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast