Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Us Versus Iraq

Originally posted by j2k4@2 June 2003 - 17:33
    Myfiles-
    You have given here an impeccable exercise and example in logical thought.
    Just thought I'd let you know.
    why thank you.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Myfiles,
    All you say is (sadly) true, but is it an exclusively American phenomonon?
    How willing is Rupert Murdock to piss off his big advertisers? Or Le Monde? Or any newpaper owner?
    Aren't they all subject to the same economic pressures?
    Isn't corporate media a worldwide business now?
    I seem to recall that in the dim mists of this thread's history, the original point was somehow going to demonstrate how America was the primary victim of inadequate media.
    Are we there yet?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@2 June 2003 - 12:37
    Myfiles,
    All you say is (sadly) true, but is it an exclusively American phenomonon?
    How willing is Rupert Murdock to piss off his big advertisers? Or Le Monde? Or any newpaper owner?
    Aren't they all subject to the same economic pressures?
    Isn't corporate media a worldwide business now?
    I seem to recall that in the dim mists of this thread's history, the original point was somehow going to demonstrate how America was the primary victim of inadequate media.
    Are we there yet?
    Alas, no.

One could argue this latest spate of consolidation and apparent monopolization of various media is an outgrowth of the "felt" need to counter bias (no sense denying it exists, CNN and network fans) extant in the news.

If I were to put myself in Rupert Murdoch's shoes, I would surely put my resources into "breeding" the biggest, fastest, and "MOST WATCHED AND READ" horse I could.

All apologies for the preceding metaphorically mixed, folded, spindled and mutilated sentence.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 June 2003 - 12:07

One could argue this latest spate of consolidation and apparent monopolization of various media is an outgrowth of the "felt" need to counter bias (no sense denying it exists, CNN and network fans) extant in the news.

If I were to put myself in Rupert Murdoch's shoes, I would surely put my resources into "breeding" the biggest, fastest, and "MOST WATCHED AND READ" horse I could.

Ah, j2,

You left Fox News off your list, and, as I'm sure it was inadvertent, I'll just add it for you.

Personally I'm glad you're not in Murdock's shoes. His posts here have been rather thin on the ground.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    Originally posted by clocker+2 June 2003 - 13:12--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 2 June 2003 - 13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@2 June 2003 - 12:07

If I were to put myself in Rupert Murdoch&#39;s shoes, I would surely put my resources into "breeding" the biggest, fastest, and "MOST WATCHED AND READ" horse I could.

Ah, j2,

You left Fox News off your list, and, as I&#39;m sure it was inadvertent, I&#39;ll just add it for you.

Personally I&#39;m glad you&#39;re not in Murdock&#39;s shoes. His posts here have been rather thin on the ground. [/b][/quote]
    Fox News was not mentioned because I was attempting to demonstrate the solidarity and sameness which exists in the coverages of CNN, et.al., which coverages most assuredly do not resemble those of Fox News.

Surely you agree?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 June 2003 - 12:28

Fox News was not mentioned because I was attempting to demonstrate the solidarity and sameness which exists in the coverages of CNN, et.al., which coverages most assuredly do not resemble those of Fox News.

Surely you agree? &nbsp;
    Gotcha.

Of course I consider Fox News to be an oxymoron anyway...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@31 May 2003 - 21:29
    "If it bleeds, it leads."

Edit:
    ...some people just don&#39;t realize just arbritrary the definition of "news" is. I, for one, could care less if some bus crashed half way around the world...
    Well, the word "news" actually is just an acronym. When newspapers were first printed, they claimed to bring events from all four corners of the globe: north, east, west, and south.

Sometimes the story is better than the truth. I told everyone at work about this.

Unfortunately, http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorn.htm#News it is probably not true.

Oh well. This site also denies that "kangaroo" means, "I don&#39;t understand what you are saying/asking".
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    Hobbes,

Your ( and my) life will be so much poorer if you let facts get in the way.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Originally posted by clocker@3 June 2003 - 18:51
    Hobbes,

Your ( and my) life will be so much poorer if you let facts get in the way.
    AHA&#33;&#33;&#33;

ZO YOU ADMIT TO BEING FACT-AVERSE, JAH?

B)

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Originally posted by j2k4@3 June 2003 - 22:04

AHA&#33;&#33;&#33;

ZO YOU ADMIT TO BEING FACT-AVERSE, JAH?

B)
    Well it works so well for Bill O&#39;Reilly&#33;

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast