Thread: need recovery tool

Can you recommend me a tool that will boot itself and restore my erased boot.ini file from my laptop hdd. I can't boot it, so what can be used?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Since nobody else has replied yet.

There are a few options. I don't recommend using unlicensed software so I can't tell you about various handy boot CD's, some of which are even hashlinked from other sections of FST.

If you have another computer and your windows install CD it's probably legal to build yourself a BartPE based CD that will boot windows from CD.

The option I would personally go for is to get some screwdrivers and take the harddrive out of the laptop and put it in another computer as a secondary drive. If it is an IDE drive, rarther than a SATA drive, this requires a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    personally i would grab a copy of puppy linux this has ntfs write support so just copy my boot.ini file to your c:\ and hopefully it will boot.

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I'm still nervous of linux NTFS support. The native support is still carrys some chance of data corruption.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    ive been using the ntfs-3g drivers for a while now and have noticed no problems what so ever. i can understand not wanted to corrupt anything and lose data but its seems safe to me.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    iKnow BT Rep: +1
    I can recommend u Hiren's boot cd, on it there's like every kind of tools u need if something "bad" happens to your computer!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    you can use active@ undelete tool. its last version has the boot itself ability- exactly what you are searching for. it will boot itself on a dead machine and then restore files http://www.active-undelete.com/

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8

Heart

Hi! Thank you all very much for your advices. I tried some but can't boot laptop as it has no windows disk. In the end i used active@ undelete bootdisk that restore file. I'm fine running again!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by intensive View Post
    Hi! Thank you all very much for your advices. I tried some but can't boot laptop as it has no windows disk. In the end i used active@ undelete bootdisk that restore file. I'm fine running again!
    Glad you're sorted.

What is active@ undelete bootdisk?