Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1mbit connection = 120kbs top speed? :(

1st of all hello every1,

2ndly i will tell you what i got:

- my pc is virus/spyware free
    - i got unlimited package with newshosting.com
    - i use nzb-o-matic to open and download nzb files
    - my connection is 1mbit and its from noob company called "Cytanet"
    - the port i use is 80 and ONLY that sine any other for me will get me down to 5-6kbs downloading speed for some reason
    - and i live in Cyprus

So basicly i would like to ask if there is anyway that i can find if i can get more in my downloading speed since 120kbs sounds so low but maybe its cause i only got 1mbit connection.

Any help or info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Are you sure that isn't KBs? If it is then you are basically maxing out your connection.
    Last edited by fugazi26; 03-21-2007 at 07:16 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch19 View Post
    - my connection is 1mbit and its from noob company called "Cytanet"
    1Mbit by what? Only commercial grade (read: $$$) is symetrical, so your upload speed is....?

And of course most speed monitors are in BYTES, which was pointed out; so that 1Megabit connex will read out as 125KBYTES. /8, since there are (by convention) 8 bits per byte.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    asfdlq3i45poi's Avatar Master
    Theoretically, at 1 Mbit your maximum bandwidth would be 128 KB. However, in actual practice, your bandwidth will likely exceed your connection speed. Therefore, it is not irrefutable to state your maximum bandwidth x at 1.33 times your theoretical output. To calculate your upload speed divide your actual download speed by your theoretical upload speed minus one.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    It's good to know that someone is getting the maximum line speed.
    If not for so many people getting bits and bytes mixed up, the forums might be a quiet place

- the port i use is 80 and ONLY that sine any other for me will get me down to 5-6kbs downloading speed for some reason
    That's the part that worries me. Your ISP is obviously port-throttling and 5-kilobytes is a very severe throttle for a 1-megabit connection. It's generally best to not share the same port with other services (like web-browsing) but it seems you have no choice here.

- and i live in Cyprus
    Being a small - and divided - island nation, I assume that there are not many choices for broadband service there.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    120KB/s is very good over a 1Mb line.

Can't you get more than 1Mb?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    1st of all sorry for such a late response,

well we have quite many choices here but all are at speed of 1mbit connections. Now finaly we got 1 company that provides 4mbit for "only" 120 euro per month....

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    What the hell? What country do you live in? for 120 euro a month converted into usd I can probably get 100Mb/s up and down. What a ripoff.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    What the hell? What country do you live in? for 120 euro a month converted into usd I can probably get 100Mb/s up and down. What a ripoff.

Yeah no kidding. I could get a 25Mbit line here for under $100USD/mo but I pay $45 for my 10Mbit connection because that's good enough for me

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by fugazi26 View Post
    I live in Cyprus, like i said above. And until few years ago we had monpole from 1 company and internet was shit, not its almost shit but at least new companies are comming. Most of ppl here can afford 100USD per month for a 1mbit connection and thats why everything is so expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast