Thread: Translated Books

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Personally, I hate reading translated books. The translation can't be accurate enough. If I can, I try to read the book in it's original language, unfortunately enough, I can only read 4 languages, so I'm a bit limited...

What do you think? Do you read all your books in your own language or do you too try to read them in the original language?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by Skweeky@29 May 2003 - 16:05
    I can only read 4 languages, so I'm a bit limited...
    I can read only two ( and a little german )! Should I commit seppuku?

I couldn't agree more, but sometimes, I have no other choice: french version or nothing!

3. Lounge   -   #3
    I am ashamed to say that I wouldn't have the option. It's English or nothing for me.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I suppose the hallmark of a good translation is : that you don't notice it's a translation .
    In other words the flow must be natural .
    So I think poetry can not be really translated without missing out on something.
    In general I do not object to translations. :teehee:

5. Lounge   -   #5
    I totally agree with regard to your point on poetry. It's not just the meaning of the words, but the actual sounds as well that matters. How the words and phrases flow together makes the poem and not just the ideas which it portrays.

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
    A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse--and Thou

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Depends on what type of translation you mean. I normally read manga (Japanese comics) translated from Japanese to English, and the humor is still there.

My mom shares the same opinion as you. She thinks the translation loses the tone of the authenitc author.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky@29 May 2003 - 15:05
    Personally, I hate reading translated books. The translation can't be accurate enough. If I can, I try to read the book in it's original language, unfortunately enough, I can only read 4 languages, so I'm a  bit limited...

What do you think? Do you read all your books in your own language or do you too try to read them in the original language?
    well, i just sat my french higher exam so therefore i should have the option of reading in English and French but i'll be damned if i have to read another book in french...and reading one that is translated just doesnt have the same thing about it...its like reading a modern romance novel and loving the characters and then reading one of the classics and still loving the characters but not feeling as close to them because of the Ye Olde Langage Barrier. ne1 know what i mean?