Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need New DivX Player

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by General2k View Post
    They still haven't gotten past the max 8 characters thing

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I'm not computer literate enough to understand that.
    You sure had me fooled Skizo.
    NTFS and FAT32 are filing systems. FAT32 are what all the older operating systems run off win95/98 and the newer ones run off NTFS XP/Vista and 2000 I think. A firmware upgrade is an upgrade done on a software level to the hardware, kinda, correct me if i am a little off on this explanation.
    I understand all of that, I just don't understand enough about it to see how it relates it to a DVD player.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    oh, we're just talking about if you hook up a external hdd to the dvd player through the usb port. the player only will read fat32 partitions which is kinda stupid, but it works. i had to read through a few hardware forums to find out that was the reason it wasn't working. it's about the only drawback i saw in the player. aside from that, it's kickass.

there's also a few usb thumb drives that don't work with it. however, they're usually the cheap ones (something to do with needing too much power i think).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    oh, we're just talking about if you hook up a external hdd to the dvd player through the usb port. the player only will read fat32 partitions which is kinda stupid, but it works. i had to read through a few hardware forums to find out that was the reason it wasn't working. it's about the only drawback i saw in the player. aside from that, it's kickass.

there's also a few usb thumb drives that don't work with it. however, they're usually the cheap ones (something to do with needing too much power i think).
    That makes sense now.

I think my brain was getting in the way.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    NTFS has potential security issues which can make external drives unusable in some devices. This is almost certainly the reason it isn't supported.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything that hasn't sorted out a decent file name display - 8 characters is simply inadequate and shows that the manufacturers don't really care enough about their product to sort out a simple feature like that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    NTFS has potential security issues which can make external drives unusable in some devices. This is almost certainly the reason it isn't supported.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything that hasn't sorted out a decent file name display - 8 characters is simply inadequate and shows that the manufacturers don't really care enough about their product to sort out a simple feature like that.
    It does a hell of a lot for a $60 player though. You gotta give it that...

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by General2k View Post
    I agree the DVP642 was a good player, but I am hoping that there is something a little newer out. The 642 is a few years old and there has to be some good upgrades with the newer models.
    Thanks for the info Skizo, I will ask him.
    It's the Philips DVP-5960.

It is a beast.

It's slim as hell. I drop my downloads on a USB thumbdrive and pop it in and play.

Because of the HD upscaling, my downloads are in nice widescreen near HD quality.

I watched some old episodes of Alias that I missed that were reran on TNT HD and wifey didn't know I was watching a computer download and not TNT.

Now I download any TV series that doesn't have an HD feed. Nip/Tuck on FX, The Shield on FX, Monk on USA, etc.

Hell my PQ is better than SDTV and my DVDs are just awesome!

Pick up some 2 to 4GB USB thumbdrives when on rebate. I got some 2 GB ones for $20 (and have got 1 GB ones for $5).

The file system on the DVD player is off little consequence with a thumbdrive but is slightly annoying with a USB hard drive (lots of files).
    Last edited by Busyman™; 03-28-2007 at 04:48 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    The 642 is the best. If the sound goes out of sync, hit the menu button a couple of times.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    The 642 combined with Lisa B's standalone guide are pretty good...http://www.jarnot.com/twiki/bin/view...LisaBsAVIGuide
    But I still prefer my modded xbox with the hd cables...FTPing the files takes no time and the results are great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12