Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Will this work?

  1. #1
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,622
    A friend asked me to make a couple of recommendations for his PC. He's fixing to do a reformat and wanted to do some minor upgrades at the same time.

    He has a Dell Dimension 8300

    Windows XP Home
    Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    Intel Canterwood i875P/E7210
    512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS - Phoenix (02/23/04)


    What he wants:

    1. Memory
    2. New HDD to backup what he already has, and then to use for future storage after Windows reinstall.


    Memory:

    He currently has 512 (specs above)

    My recommendation would be this, as it needs to be a set - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148007


    HDD:

    He currently has a Seagate 120GB (ST3120026AS - 120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)

    My recommendation would be - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148140


    So my questions are:

    Are these suggestions feasible? Specs are OK, etc?

    Is there any downside to purchasing an OEM HDD?



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Looks good to me.
    AFAIK, the only thing you lose going with an OEM drive is a pretty box, the cable and an instruction manual.

    Note:
    Newegg is notorious for the crappy job they do packing HDDs...it'll just be tossed in a box with peanuts.
    Test it immediately upon receipt so you can return if necessary.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    The set of memory will work but you could save some cash if you just try to match the one he already has.

    Only 1x512 more.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    The set of memory will work but you could save some cash if you just try to match the one he already has.

    Only 1x512 more.
    I figured he could use the extra gig. Certainly couldn't hurt, and with the rebate it's only like $38 per 512.



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Looks good to me.
    AFAIK, the only thing you lose going with an OEM drive is a pretty box, the cable and an instruction manual.

    Note:
    Newegg is notorious for the crappy job they do packing HDDs...it'll just be tossed in a box with peanuts.
    Test it immediately upon receipt so you can return if necessary.
    ORLY? I ordered 2 hard drives from them and they had it bubble wrapped and put into a fun fun peanut filled box!

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Check the voltage requirements of that memory - 2.8 Volts.

    Can the system supply 2.8 Volts to the memory?
    Can it run alongside the existing memory which probably only needs 2.5 Volts?

    I think you are just asking for potential problems if you go for that memory.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,622
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Check the voltage requirements of that memory - 2.8 Volts.

    Can the system supply 2.8 Volts to the memory?
    Can it run alongside the existing memory which probably only needs 2.5 Volts?

    I think you are just asking for potential problems if you go for that memory.
    Googled all over. Can't find info on that.



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Lynx is correct, the stock memory is 2.5v.

    Slipped right past me, that little nugget did.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,622
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Lynx is correct, the stock memory is 2.5v.

    Slipped right past me, that little nugget did.

    The Crucial website recommends these which are 2.6V - http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...on+8300+Series




    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    The current memory may be 2.5 volt or 2.6 volt, it is difficult to tell from the specs. I suspect that models with pc2700 memory operate at 2.5v and those wih pc3200 memory use 2.6v.

    Why not use Everest to find out the memory that's currently in the pc, then look that up and find out from the manufacturer what1 voltage it uses?

    Everest will also tell you the memory timings, but you need to be careful with that as there are actually different timings at different speeds. Again, if you look up the actual part you can find out the manufacturers ratings and try to match it.

    All the recommended pc3200 memory I've found operates at 2.6 volts.

    I've noticed that all the sites say you need to fit memory sticks in pairs.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •