Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smallest Partition Possible To Install Windows

Poster
    What is the smallest size of HD partition that Windows XP and 2000 can be installed onto without potentially hampering performance.

Ideally i'd like to split my current 6 GB Windows partition, which currently holds XP, and install the two as a dual boot.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    About 2 gig minimum for each full OS but thats just the install, no service packs or software installed. You have to have a minimum 15% free space for defrag to run as well. You might get away with two 3's if you keep it clean and defrag regularly.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Your a complete moron for 2 reasons:

1. who the hell would still be using a 6 gig drive in this day and age?
    I dont care if its a laptop or a desktop, get a new harddrive you cheapskate

2. For even pondering such an action as to do a dual boot on a 6 gig drive, let me guess, next your gonna tell us you have only 640k of ram and the program your tryna run needs a gig........lol, get brain moron.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I think it's easy to see who the REAL moron is here!

I know a lot of people who still run windows on a 3 gig drive. And I'm sure some still run other platforms on even less than that.

Like Linux(Which you appear to advocate) on a Ram Drive you clueless TWIT!

Please though, toss out your old 40 gig drive and buy the latest, most heavilly marketed, over priced device. Hopefully someone who Favours tinkering conservatively will benefit from your stupidity!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    My 2 scsi drives told me to tell you "quit suckin bill gates dick and stop tryna earn brownie points from the billion dollar boys club"

and just for the record there is embedded linux that runs off flash memory, but that has nothing to do with what this idiot was asking. And if you know people running anything on a 3 gig drive or 6 then I suggest you disassociate yourself of youll become more of a dufus then you already are..................loser

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    They talk to you do they? hehehe ok Son, No psyhciatric help where you are?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    He is a complete idiot.
    He's probably using the computer his mommy bought for him.
    I have my OS installed on a 4 gig HD by choice and run another HD more to his likeing.
    All I have on the 4 giger is the OS and a few other programs that run better when installed on a C drive.
    Result:a much quicker OS than if it had been installed on my oooooo much larger hard drive.
    You know dude,you should just bail on this place because with that attitude I don't think you'll find to many people that will want to deal with you and your modern Mommy bought computer.
    Is the computer still covered under warranty....you know,for tech help
    I bet your running AOL and Bonzi Buddy or some shit.
    Btw does that Bonzi Buddy work pretty good?
    I hear there's an upgrade http://www.bonzi.com/

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    :ignoring the troll:

liquidacid, you say you have a 6 GB XP partition? I assume you have either another partition or a second hard drive, otherwise with two OS's you won't have much room left to install any other software. If you do have more disk space, you may be able to use Partition Magic to resize your existing partitions or create a new one for Windows 2000. If 6 GB is all you have, I recommend going to Pricewatch.com and buying a new one.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    One word:- PARTITION.

Where did i mention i had a 6 GB HD???

In fact, i have a 80 gb Maxtor, but run windows from the 6GB partition. That leaves me my 30 GB for program files and 44 GB for media.

So who's the moron??????

THANKYOU Balamm and Nightwolf.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Supernode's Avatar SWEDISH BT Rep: +1
    I got my winxp on a 3gig partition. And with smalest clustersize.
    Programs I have on another partition .
    I have to defrag often but it runs like hell.
    I have put my tempfiles and internetcache on another partition as well, you can do this with some tweakers.
    C:/ dont seems to grow alot.
    I understod your question at once,-shn, you dont have to answer questions that you dont understand, the have total controll on this forum without your ignorance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast