Thread: Linksys Wireless G problems

i have a linksys wireless g wrk54g and its getting on my nerves. it seems like its everyday that i have to unplug the power button from the back for a couple of seconds then back in for the internet to start working again. i have 4 computers hooked to it, none of which are wireless, they are all wired. anyway is it time for a new router? or is there something i can do so I can stop having to unplug it so many times.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    I have the exact same problem

Any ideas?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I suspect you only have these problems when you use p2p software.

The solution seems obvious (to Linksys) - stop using p2p.

On a more practical note, see if you can find a firmware update that addresses your problem. There have been several updates in the last 3 years,

You should find some useful links here:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lin...rk54g+firmware
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I used to have that problem but once I updated the firmware, that problem comes up maybe once every 4 months.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejumpr2020 View Post
    i have a linksys wireless g wrk54g and its getting on my nerves. it seems like its everyday that i have to unplug the power button from the back for a couple of seconds then back in for the internet to start working again. i have 4 computers hooked to it, none of which are wireless, they are all wired. anyway is it time for a new router? or is there something i can do so I can stop having to unplug it so many times.
    I got this router or one very similar (WAG354G), let me tell you whipping that power lead in and out like that ain't healthy - a few times with mine, there have been spark ages, and a few times doing this has wiped the routers memory, meaning factory defaults and had to set-up ISP user name, p/w's etc....my fault really, (should unplug before attempting such daredevil feats. but that's hassle city, and I think subconsciously I hope to blow it up: so I can buy a newer, non Linksys router!) but the solution seems obvious: why cant they be built with a fricken on/off power switch? is bordering on negligent, as the reset switch is too awkward to use.

I found the best way, is to do a hard reboot from inside the router every now and then. Also aboot once a month leaving it unplugged for 5 whole mins (tough shift, I know ) seems to work wonders. Also as was also alluded to earlier, firmware upgrade helps.
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 03-30-2007 at 11:56 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    I do have the latest firmwire upgrade, but whenever after playing an online multiplayer game or running p2p for longer than a few hours my wireless would just stop working. Basically I have to walk over to the other room and disconnect router power, and restart it which fixes the problem.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    maxrebo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'm not sure Linksys ever fixed the problem in their firmware. You should flash to DD-WRT or OpenWRT instead.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i had the same router and same prob. i fixed it by throwing it against the wall and then taking it back to frys. got a refund and never looked back. needless to say no routers were injured in the making of this post.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503