Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Society Held Captive

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I read in the paper today that during our incursion into Iraq the US fired 750 missiles. At a million a pop.
    We no longer have the draft.
    We have spent a LOT of political currancy in the past 3 months.

When I ask "You buying?", what I mean is how do you propose to finance our new role as World Cop? How do we take on EVERY bad guy out there?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Poster
    I don't want to pay for all of it!
    The world should, or at least the free world should help pay for it's policeing.
    Europe could do more!
    Europe could do alot more!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    They have been sort of reticent lately, don't you think?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Poster
    Yes, and I wonder why.
    ..especially the French & Germans.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Perhaps, given that they have a culture more than 25 minutes old, they feel that they must respect others right to be different from them. As opposed to the attitude that, since we have no heritage we must ensure that no-one else has either.

It's an old ploy. Rather than raise yourself to the level of others, simply lower them to your's. It 's the direct result of being a mongrel society.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    woof!

now there's the JPaul we all know and love!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Just time here for two (maybe four) cents worth: A plan for the African continent, contingent on a successful conclusion to events in the Mideast.

We should go into Africa (with U.N. help, OF COURSE&#33 and take out Qaddhafi in Libya, continuing into the Sudan, taking care of "business" along the way. The U.N. can put together a coalition to dog our tracks if they like, so as to begin and sustain the humanitarian effort and conduct the feeding of the poor (I suggest a hearty French cuisine), the fighting of epidemics (German drugs are the best&#33 and the redevelopment of infrastructure (EVERYBODY-ANTE UP&#33. These tasks are necessary and should serve to circumscribe the limits and scope of U.N. involvement; as it is not a suitable organ to address any matters beyond those described here.

The U.S., and any concommitant allies, should be solely responsible (that is to say, U.N. should be enjoined) for determination of matters pertaining to the various national interests, war, peace, and human rights of the countries involved.

The benefits of such a campaign would be manifold:

For the first time ever, the twin banes of African existence; disease and starvation, could be comprehensively addressed by the institution(s) best suited; the U.N. and it's designates.

Likewise, the U.S., et.al., could perform those tasks at which they are unexcelled-kicking ass on bad guys.

The U.N. could commence it's rehabilitation, and, once and for all, prove it is more than just an extreme waste of otherwise valuable commercial space on the East River in the Big Apple.

Kofi Annan could "put up" without "shutting up".

The French and Germans could recoup some of the money they "lost" in Iraq.

Without Qaddhafi around, the rampant corruption plaguing north and central Africa would no longer hinder normal positive growth.

The focus of the massed international media could be shifted to Africa, bringing with it the attendant pseudo-tourist dollars (there are enough of them to populate a small country).

To those who wonder about North Korea:

The U.S. should proceed apace with the immediate removal of every last shred of it's existence in South Korea, and let the chips fall where they may; North Korea, if it chose to fight, would be vanquished by the South in a relatively short but very bloody war; if China weighs in at all, it will be with an eye toward disabling any nuclear threat such as exists. Russia would not interfere. Japan would scream bloody murder, but they would be assuaged.

Re-assess the balance of power afterward, and everybody MOVE ON!

Just off the top of my head......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Originally posted by PB Montgolfier@31 May 2003 - 17:15
    Perhaps, given that they have a culture more than 25 minutes old, they feel that they must respect others right to be different from them. As opposed to the attitude that, since we have no heritage we must ensure that no-one else has either.

Yes sir PB, you've got a point.Us no-heritage mongrels need an example to look up to and emulate. France? Germany? Belgium? Scotland? Naw...far too young, don't you think? We need someone OLDER.
    Like Korea.
    Yeah!
    They're thousands of years old- should be perfect.

My guess is that if a bastardized, greed driven, mongrel company like McDonalds were to open in the DPRK, KIM Chong-il's culturally superior masses would trample him into a bloody memory trying to get their hands on a Big Mac.

But since we have no heritage I suppose it would be presumptious to even imagine such a scenario.

I'll just lay back and watch how you older and more mature folks deal with the situation.

You're up!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Poster
    OK

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Well, coming from a mongrel country that has spent the best part of its history raping the natural resources of less powerful nations...

My conclusion is that whatever anyone does in the west to aid those elsewhere they will be looked upon as invaders...

back to the media thread I am afraid...but propaganda will win.....the west will be pilloried for its attempts at imposing its vision on others and having ulterior motives (can we be sure that powerful western corporations would not move in like vultures once the dust settles and the infrastructure is destroyed?)

One other point....the UN will NEVER get its act together for fear of upsetting its members...and Europe will NEVER agree with itself never mind with the US on foreign policy. So as enticing as it is to try and solve the worlds ills, ultimately...we will pretty much have to wait most of it out until either we are attacked directly or the dictator dies or the people revolt...an unhappy but inevitable situation....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast