Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Media Center

.**--**. BT Rep: +1
    Has anyone heard or know how to use a ps2 as a media center? I have done some google searches for this and there is some software that never made it out that will turn a ps2 into a media center of sorts. I have a modded ps2 that sits in the corner and collects dust. I would like to use it once again to stream the movies from my pc to the living room. Is this possible?

2. Games   -   #2
    you're probably thinking of the gameshark media player for ps2: http://www.gameshark.com/?s=722_ff86...roducts&id=134

it was originally created and sold by a different company called qcast, then gameshark bought it from that company and renamed it. i have never used it personally, since i already had a divx-compatible dvd player and a modded xbox by the time this product was released. i remember best buy clearanced it for about $10 not long after it came out, so i don't reckon it was very popular.

here's a google search with the program's proper name, to help you find reviews/opinions about it: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ga...+player%22+ps2

before spending any money on this, my main concern would be: since it is a ROM disc (non-rewritable), it cannot be updated with newer codec versions... so it might have compatibility problems with video files that were created with versions of divx/xvid/etc that are newer than the gameshark disc (which is already a couple years old). so... you'd prolly be able to get SOME use out of it, but i doubt it would be able to play as many different files as a PC or a modded xbox can.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 04-03-2007 at 12:21 PM.

3. Games   -   #3
    That might work but this is what I found by a company called broadq and qtv

http://www.broadq.com/features.php

I've been looking everywhere for this with no luck

4. Games   -   #4
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Try googling for PS2 reality. It was a project developed a few years ago for playing DivX (and XviD if you set the 4cc as DX50) mp3/ogg and .jpg files on your PS2. I know the project was dropped a few years back but the last release (1.50 I think) worked quite well.

If you were looking for a fully featured media player then I'd consider picking up a cheap xbox and installing XBMC which is absolutely fantastic and will play almost every media format out there.

5. Games   -   #5
    I have a modded xbox also which works great. I am just trying to find another use for the old ps2 thats not getting used.

6. Games   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by deep2k View Post
    That might work but this is what I found by a company called broadq and qtv

http://www.broadq.com/features.php

I've been looking everywhere for this with no luck
    yeah that's the company i meant. whatever the name of the program was (qcast, qtv)... the company was called broadq. they sold their ps2 media program to gameshark, so the gameshark version might be easier to find. it is the same program, only with a different name on it.

7. Games   -   #7
    Gnash's Avatar FuXXoR
    I have a modded xbox also which works great. I am just trying to find another use for the old ps2 thats not getting used.
    you could always give it to someone who bought a ps3 and cant play any burned games, know anyone like that?

8. Games   -   #8
    modded xbox? then just use XBMC! and if you already are using it..then forget using ps2 as media center type thing, it just runs really shitty.

9. Games   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnash View Post
    you could always give it to someone who bought a ps3 and cant play any burned games, know anyone like that?
    I'll trade ya for your PS3
    lol

10. Games   -   #10
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnash View Post
    I'll trade ya for your PS3
    lol
    Hey man, you could just give it to me free of charge, lol. Seriously though, aren't you interested in games like God of War I and II or GT3 or 4? Then you could put your PS2 to good use for at least a few more weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast