Thread: Home Networking Basics

Hey everybody! I need help to set up my home network. I will appreciate it if you can help me out directly. Otherwise, maybe you can direct me to a more specific place/forum. Thanks in advance!

Here are the details:
    - W2K laptop (my work laptop, for which I do not have admin rights, and the workgroup is hardcoded)
    - W98 desktop (my home PC; I made the workgroup equal to the hardcoded workgroup of the W2K laptop)
    - Parallel printer connected to W98 machine (I already selected printer sharing)
    - IPs are dynamically assigned by my ISP (I share a T1 Ethernet connection with other units in my building)
    - using Linksys 5-port switch workgroup where both machines are connected and share the incoming internet connection.
    - in "My Network Places" on the W2K, I can see W98, but I cannot see the C drive or printer.
    - in "Network Neighborhood" on the W98, I can only see W98, nothing else.
    - In DOS, when I ping W98 from W2K, I get a timeout error.
    - In DOS, when I ping W2K from W98, I can see it (but this is not what I want)

I believe it all has to do with the W98 network settings, and I have gone through several combinations of settings unsuccessfully. I'm not familiar with networks, so I am struggling with this stuff.

My purpose: use my W98 home PC as a storage box and also use it to print from either machine. Therefore, I need W2K to see W98 (I do not care if W98 sees W2K).

Is this too complicated, or maybe the level of detail is not enough?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. Lounge   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Silkworm,

I'm a pc idiot so any tech advice I would offer would probably be wrong.
    But I would advise you to repost (or make a link to this location) in SoftwareWorld.
    Some of those folks are very sharp!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will repost in softwareworld.